i need help on my first project car 500hp goal!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Know some one with a 600hp Neon and when you get pedal happy on the freeway(which you will) you are going to have the front wheels break loose and drift into either other cars, barriers, or the ditch, and loose your rather large investment and have increased insurance rates due to the accedent. There is nothing wrong with 500HP to the wheels on a FWD car but there is a place, and driving ability for it. I'm not trying to insult you or anything but riding in that neon was scary. The Idea of getting a B18 and building around 250 to 300 would be good till you get alot more skill behind the wheel, and will also be able to build from later on.

Just my $.02

Very wise man. I had a 650hp fox body mustang in high school and one day when I was on my way home, it started to sprinkle. The back wheels decided they wanted to be in front and all I could do was hold on. True story and that lead to me selling the car and buying my first Honda (well that and getting right around 8 mpg).

Build in stages, but keep safety in mind. Don't go all out on you engine and forget your brakes and suspension. How about a basic B swap to get you started. Go to your local auto parts store and get a set of Loaded Front Calipers for a GSR and slotted and drilled rotors for a GSR off the internet to get the brakes up to the task of handling the new found power. Do so research and find a good strut and spring combo. Don't go jumping off the high dive when you are still treading water. Be honest, do you need 4-500hp. Its like trying to hammer in nail with a jack hammer!

Last edited:
Good point is good what I can't fathom is why we are still up at 1 in the morning discussing this. I know its way past my bed time I work at 6:30 am. If this doesn't constitute a sickness I dont know what does.:p

Very wise man. I had a 650hp fox body mustang in high school and one day when I was on my way home, it started to sprinkle. The back wheels decided they wanted to be in front and all I could do was hold on. True story and that lead to me selling the car and buying my first Honda (well that and getting right around 8 mpg).

Gotta love 4 pots fast and still for around 20-30mpg.

I get what you're saying, and I understand it. There is nothing wrong with asking questions especially when it's something that is going to be a large investment of both time and $$. That being said alot of the questions you are asking have been covered in numerous other topics and are just being reiterated here. More over points have been gone over multiple times in this thread alone. Like I said before with the point you're at there is not much more we can cover. You have your idea and know where you want it to go that's a great start, but to me it just seems like you're asking the same question over and over again. I am not trying to be rude just saying what it seems like from my end. I want to see what ever you start get done just as much as you do. There is nothing worse then someones half finished project sitting in the garage, shed, or under a tarp in the back yard. When you do get this thing going I am for sure gonna follow it to see where it ends up going. You are going in the right direction just gotta decide on the route you want to take.

i definitely see what your saying and i have been asking the same questions just to see what different answers i would get. im definitely going to post pictures as soon as i get started all the way up to when im finished. and i will never let this project just sit im going to work on it every change i get.

Good point is good what I can't fathom is why we are still up at 1 in the morning discussing this. I know its way past my bed time I work at 6:30 am. If this doesn't constitute a sickness I dont know what does.:p
Good point!

A real 250 WHP would scare the shit out of him and you know I don't post that to insult him. I've got about 1/2 that in my 91 hatch and it runs real good. :)

250 WHP for a starter ride would be a Thrill Ride for sure and take plenty of time to learn how to drive it. I'd really recommned starting at about 200 WHP.

My little '91 hatch will go from 70-120 MPH pretty quick in 4th gear - enough to get into plenty of trouble.

lol thanks man

Build in stages, but keep safety in mind. Don't go all out on you engine and forget your brakes and suspension. How about a basic B swap to get you started. Go to your local auto parts store and get a set of Loaded Front Calipers for a GSR and slotted and drilled rotors for a GSR off the internet to get the brakes up to the task of handling the new found power. Do so research and find a good strut and spring combo. Don't go jumping off the high dive when you are still treading water. Be honest, do you need 4-500hp. Its like trying to hammer in nail with a jack hammer!

hahaha thats a great way to put it man. and yeah i dont really need that much power.

99.9% of 18 year olds don't have the funds or engine knowledge to build/drive/maintain a 500hp honda, let alone a 250hp honda.

i've said this a million times. anybody who WANTS a 300hp honda for a daily driver has never driven one. It's actually not fun. I will NEVER own a FWD car with more than 200hp. torque steer can suck my balls. and the traction sucks ass too.

If you have the E85 around, I would run it every day if I were you (You MUST get tuned on it). Your motor will love you. It is 105 octane that tunes like ~112 octane. I run it daily in my Evo for the past 3 years.

lol thanks man
My go-kart story. First kart, I bought a 125cc shifter - which is a 120 mph kart and it gets there quick. A buddy wanted to play with karts too so we bought a 100cc "Practice" kart. I didn't tell him, but from experiences in the dirt bike days, when he burned down my 350, there was no way he was getting near the shifter kart. So, I buy a Yamaha KT 100 powered kart, take it home and call him. Without even seeing the kart, let alone drive it, he whines it's too small and too slow. So, the next day it's back to the kart shop and I trade it in for a 125cc Rotax powered VMT racing kart. This is a 28 hp rig and will go 70 to 100 mph depending upon gearing and track type.

We take it up to the track, a 1/2 mile sprint track. Experts that weigh ~150-175 lbs can run 38-39 second 1/2 mile laps in a Rotax powered kart. At 225+ lbs, I have ran 41.15 second laps in it. He climbed in and ran 55 second laps as the kart scared the shit outta him. Then he climbed out of the kart and insisted we add front brakes - it only had rear. I dropped another $300 at tha kart shop and added front brakes. Of course, his lap times didn't change. He won't even stay in it the length of the front and back straights. The Rotax is good for 13,700 RPM, and comes on the pipe and starts pulling hard about 7000 RPM. He backs out of it around 12,000. A year later he said he didn't want to play with racing karts any more. I'll drive the shifter no problem, even on practice day with 4 or 5 other karts on the track. But, 80 mph open wheel sprint racing ain't for me. Original plan was to race - never have, never will.

150 WHP is where you need to start your hot rod Honda career. That's more WHP than mine has. You'll have lots of fun and won't be breaking stuff on a regular basis. :)

Rotax.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an example of a turbo kit from full race keeping your ac. You could always copy most of the parts and try to source them from other places cheaper.

Honda/Acura B-Series (AC) T3 ProStreet Turbo Kit - Full-Race.com

Get the car first, get a decent suspension setup like a koni sport/gc kit for around $800

Turbo kit will be anywhere from $2500-$4000

Decent brake setup is around $500-$600

b18b with gsr transmission $1000-$1500

Rebuilt with arp studs, rod bolts, rods, pistons ERL B18A/B Short Blocks around $3500 with core b18b and another $500 for a stock cam head rebuilt.

Tuning and ecu $600

Gauges $200

Clutch $400

Exhaust $400

Misc. $1000

These are ball park prices and like I said you could have it all done cheaper.

Tally up all of that and you are up there but you would have pretty much what you want.

My go-kart story. First kart, I bought a 125cc shifter - which is a 120 mph kart and it gets there quick. A buddy wanted to play with karts too so we bought a 100cc "Trainer" kart. I didn't tell him, but from experiences in the dirt bike days, when he burned down my 350, there was no way he was getting near the shifter kart. So, I buy a Yamaha powered 100cc kart, take it home and call him. Without even seeing the kart he whines it's too small and too slow. So, the next day it's back to the kart shop and I trade it in for a 125cc Rotax powered VMT racing kart. This will go 70 to 100 mph depending upon gearing and track type. Take it up to the track, a 1/2 mile sprint track. Experts that weigh ~150 lbs can run 39 second 1/2 mile laps. At 225+ lbs, I have ran 41.15 second laps in it. He climbed in and ran 55 second laps as the kart scared the shit outta him. Then he insisted we add front brakes - it only had rear. I added front brakes and his lap times didn't change. He won't even stay in it the length of the front and back straights. The Rotax is good for 13,700 RPM, and comes on the pipe and starts pulling hard about 7000 RPM. He backs out of it around 12,000. A year later he said he didn't want to play with racing karts any more. I'll drive the shifter no problem, even on practice day with 4 or 5 other karts on the track. But, 80 mph open wheel sprint racing ain't for me. Original plan was to race - never have, never will.
150 WHP is where you need to start your hot rod Honda career. That's more than mine has. :)

I race Moto-X and I never want to get in a kart powered by any thing close to my race bike. That thing is scary enough, and I have been riding for just under 10 years.

My go-kart story. First kart, I bought a 125cc shifter - which is a 120 mph kart and it gets there quick. A buddy wanted to play with karts too so we bought a 100cc "Practice" kart. I didn't tell him, but from experiences in the dirt bike days, when he burned down my 350, there was no way he was getting near the shifter kart. So, I buy a Yamaha KT 100 powered kart, take it home and call him. Without even seeing the kart, let alone drive it, he whines it's too small and too slow. So, the next day it's back to the kart shop and I trade it in for a 125cc Rotax powered VMT racing kart. This is a 28 hp rig and will go 70 to 100 mph depending upon gearing and track type.

We take it up to the track, a 1/2 mile sprint track. Experts that weigh ~150-175 lbs can run 38-39 second 1/2 mile laps in a Rotax powered kart. At 225+ lbs, I have ran 41.15 second laps in it. He climbed in and ran 55 second laps as the kart scared the shit outta him. Then he climbed out of the kart and insisted we add front brakes - it only had rear. I dropped another $300 at tha kart shop and added front brakes. Of course, his lap times didn't change. He won't even stay in it the length of the front and back straights. The Rotax is good for 13,700 RPM, and comes on the pipe and starts pulling hard about 7000 RPM. He backs out of it around 12,000. A year later he said he didn't want to play with racing karts any more. I'll drive the shifter no problem, even on practice day with 4 or 5 other karts on the track. But, 80 mph open wheel sprint racing ain't for me. Original plan was to race - never have, never will.

150 WHP is where you need to start your hot rod Honda career. That's more WHP than mine has. You'll have lots of fun and won't be breaking stuff on a regular basis. :)

Rotax.jpg

thanks. ill start there and slowly work my way up as my skill level increases

99.9% of 18 year olds don't have the funds or engine knowledge to build/drive/maintain a 500hp honda, let alone a 250hp honda.

i've said this a million times. anybody who WANTS a 300hp honda for a daily driver has never driven one. It's actually not fun. I will NEVER own a FWD car with more than 200hp. torque steer can suck my balls. and the traction sucks ass too.

hahaha

MmK this thread should end here, and mr.speeddemon needs to get onto building somthing, with a thread, with pictures, to see his 7k budget go somewhere, im tired of hondaswap all these kids talking hopes and dreams, and nothing ever gets done, either that or they say its done and no pics, so get busy mr.speeddemon, with all due respect

EXACTLY, at 200hp in a crx if u tap the gas a nut hair too much your in wheel spin city, taking off up every steep hill is like a burnout competition waiting to happen, not fun, wet pavement, i honestly dont miss being over 200hp at all

MmK this thread should end here, and mr.speeddemon needs to get onto building somthing, with a thread, with pictures, to see his 7k budget go somewhere, im tired of hondaswap all these kids talking hopes and dreams, and nothing ever gets done, either that or they say its done and no pics, so get busy mr.speeddemon, with all due respect

lol your right. and trust me everything will get done. and i will post pictures of everything. it might be in a new thread though so i hope all of youguys get around to seeing it.

Back