Idiot or genius? Happy about $8 gas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I explained the reason for this already. If you don't want to take it at face value, don't, but thats how the events unraveled.

If you try to lock horns in a scientific arena, what you say and use as references WILL be scrutinized. It's science, that's how progress is made. If they make it out the other end, you've got something.

The idea I'm speak of is referred to as peak oil theory.

Quite aware of this. However saying "It's just a theory" shows an improper application.

Both evolution and peak oil are theories. If we want to get technical again, we can classify one as a more established theory and the other as recent hypothesis, so be it. In the end, you're just splitting hairs and missing the bigger picture.

The term "theory" differs when used outside of the scientific realm (hence the line "It's just a theory"). Evolutionary theory is scientific. Peak Oil theory is mathematical and economic. Two COMPLETELY different worlds, and another improper application.

Thats life. Intelligent design can write off much of the theory of evolution as coincidence. Perhaps our current means of testing the theory are inaccurate, but that is a more philosophical question of what is "right" and what is "wrong."

That's a LOT to write off, especially with no evidence (as ID has absolutely none). ID's problem lies in its lack of testability and the ability to be falsified. It's not scientific.

You just perceive that evolution is more concrete than peak oil based on the notion that modern science has the facts correct or mostly correct.

Evolution is more concrete because ALL of the facts and evidence (yes, read ALL) that survive peer review scrutiny point in that exact direction. Do you think the idea that whales evolved from land mammals was made in a haze of bong smoke? Sounds like it, but no.

Oh, and yes, modern science has the facts. Think about that the next time your fingers grace a keyboard.

Peak Oil is less concrete because it can be HEAVILY skewed because of things such as "they're pissed at us". Peak Oil attempts to make a constant out of an uncontrollable variable (we humans) and the numbers have reflected this several times.

Tell me honestly, do you think a Saudi prince is going to let us know just how much oil he's got? If we know that number, he doesn't get his diamond Bentley. He doesn't like that, therefore he can "cook" the numbers to his liking, usually making them much lower than normal. Drives up the price. No end consumer is going to spot the error in the math... do you count the barrels?

Peak oil works *IF* you supply solid numbers. That's why it predicted OUR peak oil. We didn't skew the numbers. However if you look at the end results per year, you can see someone's been telling a couple of fibs, and that makes the end result invalid.

A mathematical equation only works with the correct numbers.

It's going to be $500+ a month for me just to commute to work..... :(

and thats at just $5 a gallon.

Time for a bike...250cc or 600cc? :(

If you seriously are starting to think about this, lemme know and we'll go shopping . I'll point out my lessons learned and direct your attention to more remarkable machines.

I was under the same impression as yourself. I grew up with my father saying, "Fuck the carribou, drill."

When I learned the percentage chance of spills and other failure (which I believe is over 75%) of drilling off the coast, I began to look at the situation differently. Right now, I honestly do not know how risky the drilling process would be - I'm simply not an expert oil driller and only have the findings that I've been exposed to, to rely on for answers.

For ANWR at least, the chances of environmental damage are pretty slim. I actually did do a report on this for one of my classes in college. The area that they actually want to drill, which is called the Coastal Plain, comprises just a tiny part of ANWR's overall volume, and it's essentially a wasteland. During the winter it's a frozen tundra. You'll get the occasional caribou wandering through, but essentially it's lifeless. During the summer it's essentially a swampy marsh with mosquitoes being the prime residents. Once again, you'll get the occasional caribou, but for the most part, lifeless.

Don't get me wrong, a vast majority of ANWR is full of pristine scenery and wildlife, but the area they actually want to drill (the Coastal Plane) is not, so I don't see any reason not to drill there. Also, any oil pipelines they build at this point will be suspended above the ground so as not to disturb wildlife habitats.

Admittedly I haven't much looked into the dangers of any offshore drilling, but I just don't see any reason they shouldn't drill what's in ANWR. The chances of any disasters or contamination there are slim to none.

Also, if they do end up drilling anywhere else, the environmentalists are going to be all over them to make sure proper safety procedures are used, so in my mind, the risk will be reduced and is acceptable if it will help ease gas prices during this transitional period.

And just for clarification, the above statement was my own opinion, but the info about ANWR was not...

If you seriously are starting to think about this, lemme know and we'll go shopping . I'll point out my lessons learned and direct your attention to more remarkable machines.

""suzuki katana 600 with 7xxx miles on it? custom paint yo! i think its like a 94...its my cousins but he cant drive it anymore he had an accident and f'd up his clutch hand pretty bad...he'd probably trade for it""

trade for my s12....

How many of these will he trade for your S12 ? because it's a $1000 bike. If you LOVE it then I can see maybe $1500.

And remember, for your purpose I would go new. You have good credit, good money, get something that will be troublefree.

katana = air cooled
custom paint = dumped

my ninja 600 got about 20mpg, but i didn't "cruise"... ever

Jack is selling his ninja 600 again. that guy at Sikorsky backed out. and Jeff is selling his zx9r for cheaper (You rode it)

do you think that anything will change once bush (oil company beneficiary) is out of office or is the damage done?

Contrary to popular belief, George Bush does not control everything in the world, nor does he personally set oil prices or the prices we pay at the pump.

Bush and the Republicans are in favor of domestic drilling, and I believe that a large oil pocket was recently found in the Dakotas. They also are in favor of drilling in the Great Lakes as well. All of these projects are being blocked at the state and federal level by the liberals. Say what you want about the "oil beneficiaries", but the mere discussion of developing and refining a large domestic oil deposit would likely drive down oil futures substantially, and the futures are what impacts your prices on a daily basis.

Contrary to popular belief, George Bush does not control everything in the world, nor does he personally set oil prices or the prices we pay at the pump.

Bush and the Republicans are in favor of domestic drilling, and I believe that a large oil pocket was recently found in the Dakotas. They also are in favor of drilling in the Great Lakes as well. All of these projects are being blocked at the state and federal level by the liberals. Say what you want about the "oil beneficiaries", but the mere discussion of developing and refining a large domestic oil deposit would likely drive down oil futures substantially, and the futures are what impacts your prices on a daily basis.
Are you a FReeper ?

Also, your efforts are falling on deaf ears. This place is a puddle of liberal urine. Political talk on Hondaswap got so heated, that a new forum was created called www.conflictingviews.com, so that no more political conversations would take place.

i don't think we should drill here at the time...
i believe conserving the national oil reserves JIC would be smart.

anyone here ever watch jericho series?

Back