Importing From Japan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by B16+May 27 2003, 07:59 PM-->
Domeskilla
@May 27 2003, 10:33 AM
Kit cars are not production cars, anything that is a production, must have the things listed.... still wont work.

but, if its not in any of the US databases, how do they know it was a production car?

What kind of cars are you talking about?Most any company that makes cars is on records in the states.They know all the exotics,and if it is a common manufacturer,but a model they don't know then it is the same story,all the paper work is needed to make sure it complies.Kit cars,race cars and antiques are hard because they have to fit inot pretty strick guideslines to designate them as such.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+May 27 2003, 11:05 AM-->
Originally posted by B16@May 27 2003, 07:59 PM
Domeskilla
@May 27 2003, 10:33 AM
Kit cars are not production cars, anything that is a production, must have the things listed.... still wont work.

but, if its not in any of the US databases, how do they know it was a production car?

What kind of cars are you talking about?Most any company that makes cars is on records in the states.They know all the exotics,and if it is a common manufacturer,but a model they don't know then it is the same story,all the paper work is needed to make sure it complies.Kit cars,race cars and antiques are hard because they have to fit inot pretty strick guideslines to designate them as such.

i c

ive talk to an importer and they say it costs around $2500 to convert it to EPA and another $2500 for DOT. of course this may depend on the vehicle, but thats what they told me for a honda(ITR to be exact).

Originally posted by K2e2vin@May 29 2003, 11:37 PM
ive talk to an importer and they say it costs around $2500 to convert it to EPA and another $2500 for DOT. of course this may depend on the vehicle, but thats what they told me for a honda(ITR to be exact).

The importers I have talked to had pretty much the same thing to say. And you can also tack on a MINIMUM three month wait while the process takes place, and the processing fee of I believe $800 to get the EPA to even look at the convertability of the car, at which time you also have to send them a certain number of pictures (70-120 I think) of various parts on the car. By the way this was to import a 85 DOHC ZC and/or a 90 1.6-16 CRX.

open a business and get some dealer plates
slap a dealer plate on the car and drive the fucker
thats what the guy with the 2 lotus exiges from my race league does

yep the only Lotus Eslise I have ever seen had dealer plates on it.

What we need to do is to get someone in the EPA and someone in the DOT who will just "overlook" such strict rules.. Maybe with a bribe....

Nice dream, huh?

Back