in search of new exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raceinspiredrex

i'm looking for ideas for a new exhaust system. i have a good set of headers into a test pipe right now. i'm going to be having a mini me here shortly, so that might affect the exhaust note somewhat. along with that, i have an ebay setup that is really ricey, hangs way too low, and rubs on the seatbelt bolt which rattles to all hell. so anyways, i'm looking for a new setup, which i want to be custom. an exhaust shop up here quoted me at around $250 for 2.5" mandrel bent piping with a magnaflow muffler and mellow exhaust tip, but no resonator. does the exhaust sound like crap without a resonator?

aside all of that, what i'm really looking for is a nice sounding exhaust that sounds muscley, if that makes sense. i'm also into older muscle cars that rumble and sound mean, and i want my crx to have a similar sound. does anybody have any setups like that? i can always buy the muffler, resonator, and exhaust tip seperately and just have them throw it on with their piping. please let me know your ideas and what kind of setups you have going on. thanks a lot

try some oem options if you can, im currently researching the newer si mufflers...i dont care for the fart can look.

Go to youtube and listen to the newer Civic or Acura RSX (can't remember which) mufflers attached to older Hondas...they really make a sweet tone :D.

yes it will sound like ass with out a resonator. the best ive found so far is the greddy sp2 i had that on my rsx type s with race header no cat and it sounded like stock but aggressive. but the magnaflow will be fine as long as its got a resonator

Ok, my 0.02. Try using a round body magnaflow muffler as a resonator. Use a oval body magnaflow for the main muffler. Tie everything togethor with 2.25 in piping and you should have a really good sounding car. 2.5 is really to big for a d16, not enough back pressure to run right. After the mufflers break in you should end up with a mellow rumble at idle and low rpm and a very throaty roar at high rpm with your foot to the floor. Many of the local muscle heads have told me that my rex is the best sounding "jap rocket" that they have ever heard.

i want to run 2.5" because eventually i'm going b series or going turbo d. i'm just planning for the future lol. but what exactly do you mean a round body muffler? because when you say that, i'm thinking fart can, and that doesn't seem right. could you grab me some part numbers in conjuction with 2.5" in/outlets? thanks a lot

I would make sure you get stainless steel piping and muffler.

Steel: Lasts 3-5 years.
Stainless: Lasts for a lifetime, in theory.:D

what about aluminized steel? i think that's what it's called. idk if it's stainless or not. i want to use an oval muffler in the stock location, i don't want a rice can coming off my back end. i want it to look somewhat stock, just with a little bigger diameter exhaust tip possibly. what about a flowmaster? do they make the car sound meaner? i like the sound of a turbo muffler too, a lot of them sound the same to me tho. i was even thinking of getting it clamped together for now so i could swap out the muffler and resonator if i really wanted to. let me know what you guys think. thanks

Sounds like you're on the right track, I might even go to a muffler shop and ask them what they think.

alright cool, thanks, i apprecaite it. i'd rather not have them weld it anyways, that way i can take it apart when if i need to get it out of the way to get at something else underneath the car. my ebay exhaust now comes in 3 different sections, but i'm not gonna pay to have flanges welded on so i can unbolt it. it seems like it'd be easier to just clamp it. my exhaust on my 87 chevy monte carlo ss was clamped like that for a really long time with no problem, and i'm guessing there's a little more pressure coming through that exhaust than my crx lol

I'm runnin a DynoMax super turbo muffler with a resinator and I also have 2-1/2" piping and the car is really quiet but it has a nice tone to it when you get on it and it gets pretty loud

i'm looking for ideas for a new exhaust system. i have a good set of headers into a test pipe right now. i'm going to be having a mini me here shortly, so that might affect the exhaust note somewhat. along with that, i have an ebay setup that is really ricey, hangs way too low, and rubs on the seatbelt bolt which rattles to all hell. so anyways, i'm looking for a new setup, which i want to be custom. an exhaust shop up here quoted me at around $250 for 2.5" mandrel bent piping with a magnaflow muffler and mellow exhaust tip, but no resonator. does the exhaust sound like crap without a resonator?

aside all of that, what i'm really looking for is a nice sounding exhaust that sounds muscley, if that makes sense. i'm also into older muscle cars that rumble and sound mean, and i want my crx to have a similar sound. does anybody have any setups like that? i can always buy the muffler, resonator, and exhaust tip seperately and just have them throw it on with their piping. please let me know your ideas and what kind of setups you have going on. thanks a lot
i just did the maganaflow exhaust system that someone on here turned me on to with a new megan racing header and i like it alot. low tone no ricey rasp. but i did a 2 1/4 and not 2.5. i did the magnaflow test pipe and magnaflow muffler. search 10445 for the test pipe and 11215 for the muffler this is what i did and i really like it.

Magnaflow sounds great, I had a way too big magnaflow muffler with the stock resonator on my EF and it had a really nice tone to it, a little hint of harshness once the rpms reach about 5-6k, but very pleasant for "normal" driving.

I really like the design of the Dynomax; in fact I'm going to get one for myself.

The D-series tend to have a higher pitch than the other motors so it's almost imperative you run a baffled/chambered muffler and large resonator to get rid of rasp.

heres what i did i got 2.5 exhaust from header back to high flow magnaflow cat and 2.5 pipe to a series 40 flowmaster and it has a real deep tone instead of the higher pitched sound , but good news is when i decide to put in a differnt motor to turbo it , they said it would sound like a v8 motor . the biggest problem ull have for now is not enought out flow to get the right sound outta the muffler so don't worry it will sound great once u upgrade to turbo or supercharger . one of my close friends owns a master muffler and thats how he explained it to me . hope this helps bud.

thanks for all of the input guys. i think what i'm gonna do is get the dynomax resonator shown above and a dynomax super turbo muffler. i'm going to get 2.5" piping with all of the hangers welded, but i'm going to have it all clamped together for now, not welded yet. that way i can change something if i don't like it, or i want to try a different muffler, or if i wanna try for a different sound or something. now i just have to look for a good shop that'll hook me up with an awesome price. thanks again guys

i love my greddy sp2 exhaust. and i would advise getting something with a resinator it will take care of that raspy sound

Back