Inspection question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

austin20110

Ok was doing some weight reduction today and took out the rear deck in my civic, there is a brake light in the deck.
I disconnected it and threw it all off to the side, now im wondering if removing that 3rd brake light was a bad idea.
I still have the brake lights on the trunk and all that good shit.
Its in va by the way... just wondering, if anyone can help id appreciate it.

Be careful yanking things out.. Unibody cars rely on the sum of thier parts for strength.

Virginia State Police

6. - INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR:​
  • <LI class=textregular>Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch. <LI class=textregular>Aim of fog and driving lamps.
  • Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens.
    (NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. Count load in measuring.)

I'm thinking the "Illumination of all lamps" bit will get you.

well its getting a cage so not too worried about it...

yea i guess i could just ask one of the state inspectors tomorrow. I read the same thing but thought if its not in the car it doesnt need to be illuminated.

well, if they dont like it.. just tell them that its illuminating at your house. lol

i know, but lifes no fun without laughs.
i agree with you though, if the lights not on the car, it shouldnt be a problem just as long as all the lights on the car illuminate.
would they even know that there was a light there?

Yea. State of VA royally stinks. Do you have a factory spoiler on the car at all? I know where I got my inspection, the inspector was like "if you didn't have the led bar in the spoiler, you'd fail, because anything from 86 on, must have at least 3 brake lights whether or not they came from factory with it or not". I also know I did get stopped with my 89 S-10 when I had that for no 3rd brake light, yet it never came with it from factory. You might be able to get away with it, if you know the guy tho. Just my .02 - Gary

not sure but i think you need the 3rd light. if you tossed it and need it maybe you could just make some crap one from other lenses. or maybe if you clear all evidence of it they won't know.
I'm in VA and my 87 crx sidemarker was broken but they passed it after taking the wire and bulb holding part and moved it from the sidemarker position to dangling down near the ground and tire. sunoco by fairfax circle is pretty lenient.

Ok so talked to the certified state inspector and you need the 3rd brake light.. they call it the upper brake light.. he showed me the rules regarding brake lights. If its like a 86 or newer it must have one. So good thing I kept it, all the rest of it was sitting in the trash pile outfront and i shot it all with the paint ball gun.

So good thing I kept it, all the rest of it was sitting in the trash pile outfront and i shot it all with the paint ball gun.

Why? Did you not think that maybe you might want to keep that stuff in case you ever want to put it back in your car, like when you go to sell it and the buyer doesn't want some stripped-down POS? Did you think about putting it up for sale maybe? Make a little money off of it? That was a very, very "18-year-oldish" thing to do. I'd neg rep you if I could, but apparently I have to spread it around first, so you're safe this time...

And you're putting a cage in your car? Do you even have any engine mods that would warrant a cage?

Last edited:
i'm w/ brutal, i'd keep the stuff if you got the room, or at least the important stuff. even if you love the car and will have it forever. it can def be a sale issue. and esp w/ a honda, many assume you beat the car if you have anything aftermarket.

Why? Did you not think that maybe you might want to keep that stuff in case you ever want to put it back in your car, like when you go to sell it and the buyer doesn't want some stripped-down POS? Did you think about putting it up for sale maybe? Make a little money off of it? That was a very, very "18-year-oldish" thing to do. I'd neg rep you if I could, but apparently I have to spread it around first, so you're safe this time...

And you're putting a cage in your car? Do you even have any engine mods that would warrant a cage?

I kept the inmportant stuff like the rear deck but the roof had a minor leak and everything from behind the drivers seats back had mold so I junked it. Dont have any engine mods yet but once I do I will be going to a buddies shop and have a cage put in. But thank you for your concern.;)And just the thought of you neg repping me hurts.

i'm w/ brutal, i'd keep the stuff if you got the room, or at least the important stuff. even if you love the car and will have it forever. it can def be a sale issue. and esp w/ a honda, many assume you beat the car if you have anything aftermarket.

I really dont care if some one thinks I beat it around, if and when it comes the day to sell it. I've always liked the look and sound of a gutted car, its just a prefrence I guess. And I have a couple of DD's to choose from so if I'm feeling high class I just drive one of those lol. But your in the area why not come check em out.

Back