JDM B18C DOHC (Automatic tranny) into 93 Civic Si hatch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apocalypto

I'm not a mechanic so I need some advice. My 93 Civic Si (D16Z6) has head gasket problems so I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Meanwhile, the wife needs a car and she can't drive a manual. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on dropping in something like a B18C with an automatic transmission?

I've been looking and looking, on Google, on this and other forums, not too much out there relating to putting an auto engine into a former manual EH 5th gen Civic.
I guess there aren't too many people who want to do this kind of swap.

The most I can do with a car is change the brakes, pads, filters, stuff like that. I do have a decent knowledge of all the Honda motors (after reading this and other sites and forums) The B18C seems to be a good choice to drop in there, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be to install one with an automatic transmission. I've seen them for sale, and the price point seems pretty decent... here's one:

93-95 JDM B18C GSR DOHC VTEC ENGINE SWAP ECU AUTO TRANSMISSION 94 95 96 JDM INTEGRA GSR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, ENGINE, ECU OBD-1 [B18C1AUTOE] - $2,450.00 : got-jdm.com, JDM Imported Engines, Performance Auto Parts at Wholesale Prices

Obviously the clutch pedal would have to come out, the stick would have to be replaced with an automatic shift lever and who knows what else

It will be sad to watch this car become autotragic before my eyes, :( but the wifey needs a car, and we don't want to spend a fortune, so it might actually be a good deal. Anyone have any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back