JDM Front Ends...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

utn

I have another question about identifying exactly what youre looking at. I am in the market for a new car and I might be going to look at a 91 Civic DX Hatch tomorrow. The add says that the car has a JDM Front end with a 'new' GSR motor blah blah blah etc.

So what I would like to know is, how can you tell a JDM front end from a USDM front end? What's the advantage of buying a front end instead of swaping a motor into a USDM car? Does it mean than it will probably have JDM motor mounts and axles etc?

P.S. Does anyone know what the compession of the clyinders of a B18C1 motor should be?

Thank you very much,
Scott

i don't know a whole lot, but for what i do know, there a a few things to look at, one would be that jdm headlights have no nipples and they are a hard plastic, not glass. two the turn signals on the ef are wrapping around the bumper in a jdm civic, the usdm turn signals don't wrap around. here is a jdm bumper, this is what it should look like, good luck
IMG_0961.jpg

What about getting JDM engines smogged in California? Of what I have read on the internet JDM engines are harder to get smogged. Maybe I read something wrong. I am going to look at a 95 Civic DX Coupe with an JDM H22 in it on monday and I don't want to get screwed over like I did with my CRX... 2 cylinders barely working (bad piston rings), no cat, dead O2 sensors etc...

I've heard that you need a USDM ECU and a few other USDM parts, beacuse the JDM ones arent complient with EPA regulations or something. Is this true?

I want my next Civic hybrid purchase to be as close to painless as possible.

Thank you for any and all help,
Scott

USDM ECU, all USDM emissions equipment, and a cool BAR rep.

the civics wont have the open slot in the front of the bumpers like the crx's shown above. the headlights will be one piece, side markers on the fenders, a raise hood (as opposed to the usdm inward hood), and the bumper light wrap around.

What about the reliabilty and integrity of an H22 as opposed to a B series motor? I know the B series is known for taking their beatings with a smile then just keep running along, but what about the H22? Is the reason you cant just pop in some forged pistons because the cylinder sleeves are weak? Or is there another reason.

I have also heard that the H22 engines have funky transmissions. I haven't quite heard why yet, unreliable? weak? bad gearing? or what?

Thanks for the info I've already gotten it helps a lot,
-Scott

The H22 trannies are cable-shifted and therefore don't feel quite as "natural" and connected as the B and D series. I, personally, think cable-shifted transmissions like the H and F series feel clunky and lack a certain feeling of connection to the drivetrain and engine. You really can't feel much vibration and feedback through cable shifters.

Originally posted by ef9civicgen4@Jan 23 2005, 03:11 AM
the civics wont have the open slot in the front of the bumpers like the crx's shown above. the headlights will be one piece, side markers on the fenders, a raise hood (as opposed to the usdm inward hood), and the bumper light wrap around.
[post=449936]Quoted post[/post]​

the jdm sedan had the one piece headlight. the rest were 2 piece.

I guess they updated the site... becuase the old version said... "one Piece headlights"

Ahh well...

4 doors forever!!!

Back