Kids with smartphones?

Smartphone for 11 year old boy

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gantt charts? What are you guys, waterfall?? lol. No wonder you hate trello, y'all ain't even agile!

Trello sucks on its own for reporting. We wrote a python tool to generate burn down charts. But for a kanban board for tracking stories and points it works just fine.

Gantt charts? What are you guys, waterfall?? lol. No wonder you hate trello, y'all ain't even agile!

Trello sucks on its own for reporting. We wrote a python tool to generate burn down charts. But for a kanban board for tracking stories and points it works just fine.
we have absolutely no structure because our managers are fucking useless and have no backbone to stand up and fight for what's right not just for us, but what actually makes sense
an exec says he needs X, we are told to drop everything else and build it.

i have 23 things 13-98% done and currently have 4 'the president asked for this' things that will solve 0 problems in queue that are complete tangents to the product. 22 of those 23 things are never going to deploy because they will merge-out and basically need to be re-built from scratch

see also: time for a new job post

See also Transactional Leadership vs. Transformational Leadership. Exploiting an employees talents are a must, but not recognizing those meant to do more is a loss. Sounds like your bosses fail to anticipate needs and try to fix problems after they happen....

The entire company is such a joke.

They could literally lay off 2,000 people if they simply switched to billing for service visits at time of service instead of trying to sell them rate plans by the flight hour.

we have absolutely no structure because our managers are fucking useless and have no backbone to stand up and fight for what's right not just for us, but what actually makes sense
an exec says he needs X, we are told to drop everything else and build it.

i have 23 things 13-98% done and currently have 4 'the president asked for this' things that will solve 0 problems in queue that are complete tangents to the product. 22 of those 23 things are never going to deploy because they will merge-out and basically need to be re-built from scratch

see also: time for a new job post
Ah, no wonder you want a new job.

To me sounds like the management doesn't really know how to run a development team if they're letting shit like that happen. My management also has no fucking clue how to run a dev team, but thank god they let me make all the decisions in that space no questions asked, because they know they don't know shit.. lol

My manager used to run a call center. she is now 'director of analytics', the biz unit i work under (i build monte-carlo simulated financial data modeling software, web based RESTful interfaces to interact with it, lots of JSON passing , etc)
she knows 0 about IT.
nice lady, and I like to work for her on a personal level, but she just doesn't understand SDLC at all and has no backbone to say NO to people above her.

It's the same problem everywhere I've worked... at some point, someone at some level is a giant pussy and won't fight for what's right because they are afraid to lose their job.

And thus, we have the American work force....

the only reason why i'm still here is because honestly, 1) it's not a hard job... and the pace of things is turtle. I don't carry much stress at all. the 'speed of business' here is rediculous due to having meetings about next weeks meeting about what that meeting with involve and then wait for consultants to come in (myself included) and offer opinions and stuff, wait some more.... and 2), because it pays pretty damn good.

Most lateral moves are a pay cut.

It's the same problem everywhere I've worked... at some point, someone at some level is a giant pussy and won't fight for what's right because they are afraid to lose their job.

This is the same at every company in the entire country EXCEPT.....Amazon. At Amazon nobody expects to be around for more than 2 years anyway and even if they did get fired, they would get another job in about 12 minutes. Their culture is such that they want you to tell your manager to fuck off, as long as you can support why and have a better answer.

The culture here in the U.S. is not conducive to having hard working, smart, and ethical employees anymore.

Yup, most management decisions are about meeting numbers for this quarter, in exchange for fucking over the next 20 years.

Definitely see this every day. We do the most ridiculous shit to certain goals that some executive came up with because he had to increase his numbers for the BOD.

This is the same at every company in the entire country EXCEPT.....Amazon. At Amazon nobody expects to be around for more than 2 years anyway and even if they did get fired, they would get another job in about 12 minutes. Their culture is such that they want you to tell your manager to fuck off, as long as you can support why and have a better answer.

The culture here in the U.S. is not conducive to having hard working, smart, and ethical employees anymore.
This is the culture here in Silicon Valley. There are 4 jobs for every dev in the Bay Area. When I worked at Kohls for 8 months on their webstore with them, they learned this quick. The execs were based in Milwaukee and thought they could be assholes and people would stick around because of the good pay. Nope, my last day there were 3 other developers leaving at the same time.

this thread...

AP_canada_train_derailment_jt_130707_16x9_992.jpg

Or gawd forbid he is the idiot manager.

I think you should hold off until the kid is at least 13, which is still an arbitrary number, but it sounds better than 11. I know I'm a lot older, but I didn't have a cell phone until I was 16, and that was a hand-me-down from my mom, and I only got it because I was driving, and my dad worked for Verizon, so it didn't cost my parents anything. At 11, he should never be too far from a responsible adult, who would surely have a cell phone.

Back