Lookin For A New Cell Phone

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

We have Tmobile. I know a lot of people say they suck, etc etc, but we've been with them for probably 8 years and I really don't have any complaints.

We have Tmobile. I know a lot of people say they suck, etc etc, but we've been with them for probably 8 years and I really don't have any complaints.

Ive had T-Mobile for like 4 years without a problem. Im happy with the service.

Ok so I looked up the specs for the G2 to compare it to the myTouch 4G. The G2 has an 800MHz processor and the myTouch has a 1GHz processor. Would that even make a noticeable difference in speed?

Still interested in feed back on the myTouch too.

From my understanding, both phones are powered by processors from the same family, so yeah, I would expect the 1Ghz to be a little quicker. I think both can also be tweaked to actually out-perform their factory settings.

Whether it would be noticeable from one to the other I don't know. Have you tried going to a t-mo store and playing with each of them to compare side by side?

Ive had T-Mobile for like 4 years without a problem. Im happy with the service.

Ok so I looked up the specs for the G2 to compare it to the myTouch 4G. The G2 has an 800MHz processor and the myTouch has a 1GHz processor. Would that even make a noticeable difference in speed?

Still interested in feed back on the myTouch too.

My girlfriend and I just upgraded to these phones. I picked up the G2 and she picked up the myTouch 4g. We got it during the holidays when it was buy one get one free. However, they are offering either phone for $99 with a qualifying upgrade.

Anyway, the phones in term of hardware are almost identical except the G2 is downclocked 200mhz slower to save battery life. A break down of each phone is:

-G2:
GUI: Cleanest and purest of andriod. No skins and very utilitarian, its very simply.
Hardware: Its very heavy compared to the mytouch. But it feels much better put together. However, due to the phsyical keyboard, its thicker so it feels much bigger than the mytouch.
Battery life: Itll last about 6 hrs with heavy usage like wifi and playing games. Without wifi and just talking and texting, itll last a day. So i would say average.
Reception: Mediocore. Not the best but not the worst. It has wifi calling which really helps if youre in an area with bad reception but with access to wifi.
Camera: Dont use it much, but pictures and videos came out pretty good.

-myTouch 4G
GUI: very pretty interface and simple to use.
Hardware: very light and thin. seems kinda cheap compared to the G2, but still feels solid.
Battery Life: terrible. even without wifi or running flash, itll last barely a day. turn either one on and you'll be looking for an outlet or charger.
Reception: Great. Picks up 3G and 4G much better and faster than the G2.
Camera: Dont use this feature much, but compared to the G2, it's better.

So if youre really into customizing your phone and need a physical keyboard the G2 is your phone. However, if you like pretty GUI and light and "cute" phones, the mytouch is yours.

I would strongly suggest going into a store with working models of the phones and checking them out. Lastly, as with most andriod phones, both phones can be "rooted"/hacked so you can change the speed, GUI and everything else. The 200mhz isnt very noticble until you start having a whole bunch of apps open. the G2 does feel a tad slower, but like i said, you can fix this by rooting it and overclocking it. most people seem to reach above 1.0ghz.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

best site ever for smartphones.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for the input.

Lol, Ive been on XDA for a little while. Thats where I got all the ROMs for my HD2 lol. Ive been lookin at these phones ove there lately, but Ive just been browsing everything tryin to somethin that I like.

Now that I have an idea of what I want, Ill hit up the T-Mo store and check em out. I hate goin in there and sayin "I was thinkin about this one, but Im not sure..." It always ends up with them leadin me off the path I was on lol.

i have the lg ally. it has the same droid network as the incredible only differemce is it comes with a 4 gig memory rather than 8 and the camera is only 5 meapixel not 8. but my battery last a day and a half before it turns yellow (which is alot longer than my girlfriends incredible). she also paid 200 bucks for her phone i ended up payin 50 for mine and mine has a slide out keyboard.

Only thing I don't like about slide-outs are they're usually a little thicker.

My Incredible lasts over a day with moderate use. I think the longest I went without charging was just over 2 days, which is VERY good for a smart phone.

I dont mind the extra thickness. After having the G1, most everything else seems slim lol. That and my phones dont spend a lot of time in my pocket, to avoid smashin em.

i'm on tmobile.
just bought a motorola milestone (euro version of the droid)
the milestone accepts a sim though, so far, i like it.
i dont require a lot out of my phones though. i just wanted something that would replace my shitty samsung behold and my shitty ipod at the same time.
so, all i need is something that can call/text/mms as well as play music through headphones and play music through the usb plug in my car stereo (bonus!) while charging at the same time.
and wifi capable.

Back