Lower ball joint bolt spins

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

do not use an impact on it. Because if you do manage to get enough pressure on it and it grabs you'll fuck the shit out of it. Use a rubber mallet to hit it or a clamp or vice grips. The guys who said impact have never actually done that before. Idiots

Originally posted by thiebert@Apr 17 2004, 09:13 AM
do not use an impact on it. Because if you do manage to get enough pressure on it and it grabs you'll fuck the shit out of it. Use a rubber mallet to hit it or a clamp or vice grips. The guys who said impact have never actually done that before. Idiots

:newbie: I've used an impact to tighten spinning ball joints quite a few times, it's all about technique.

Originally posted by thiebert@Apr 17 2004, 03:13 AM

It is a matter of technique. I do different things as the situation dictates, usually an impact is your best friend. he's going for pressure sweetheart and if the nut grabs that's a good thing.

If you can get a totally spun ball joint loose with a fucking wrench you are my hero, but as this can't really be done, you are a dipshit. Why is it that it's always the least informed calling everyone an idiot? Asshat...

To the thread, as I have been reading about you fucking with this for a while you have most likely started to wallow out the reciever hole for the ball joint to some degree, so loading it from the bottom with a jack may not work now. Probably have to get out a pickle fork. Or the blue wrench and buy a new ball joint :D .

I'm just going to buy new ball joints, thier cheap. Anybody know if you can rent to tool to take them out at autozone? or napa? Anybody have any experience with the tool either?

I know the ball joints in the 90-93 tegs are pressed in to the knuckle, so you will have to take the knuckle assly to like pep boys or something and have them press it in for you. I don't remember how how got the tapered shaft to stop spinned when I changed out my axles, maybe support the lca, then tap on the top of the knuckle to get it to seat in the lca. good luck, suspension is just lame sometimes.

I'd like to try and fix them in the car just because its a sunday and napa is not opened. hope I can get the tool around the nuckle, I'll try it and see what happens I guess.

Ya those ball joints have to be broken. The ones that are on there move from side to side. The new ones I just bought from autozone don't move at all and the nut screws on no problem, I can't even make the bolt spin around. The ball joints are $15 a peice and the tool to rent is $100, but you get that right back as long as you return it 100%, I just put it on my cc. I am going to have to remove the axel again I assume.

Back