LS TRANNY VS GSR TRANNY

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jinstuh

lately i've been alot about the LS tranny being good for boosting a b series motor. i dont know if that is true or just full of shit. help a brother out and feel me in on it

it really depends on the setup, how much power you are making, the size of your wheels and your redline. I personally like the b16, gsr, or type r. i would stay away from the LS.

what I personally think is that si and type R and ctr tranny are too short for boost, may be type R is bettter, but the GSR is the golden middle for boosting, deffenettely GSR, throw away the LS,

bah

short gears are ALWAYS better for acceleration. if you want top speed, get an ls tranny. if you want to be quick, gsr, b16, or itr. if you're fighting for traction, longer gears can help, but the apexi avc-r boost controller has gear dependent boost control so you can turn it down in 1st and 2nd to hookup :D

between the 2, gsr hands down. end of discussion.

My unprofessional opinion:

street car: GSR
highway racer (60-170 races): LS
drag car only: b16 or itr
road/track car: JDM itr
autox: JDM itr

i think ls is good for boosting, the gsr is def. a better street tranny, but the itr & b16 trannies would just be a waste you would just sit and spin and the AVC-R BLOWS!

A little off topic but what do you guys think of a gsr trans with a lower ratio final drive for highway/top end pulls. I saw something from sage racing a while back. I think it was 4.0x. I don't remember the last digit. Just curios.

Originally posted by B-SERIES_BOY@Mar 17 2004, 11:08 AM
A little off topic but what do you guys think of a gsr trans with a lower ratio final drive for highway/top end pulls. I saw something from sage racing a while back. I think it was 4.0x. I don't remember the last digit. Just curios.

fuck that
dont kill the whole tranny just to get better highway shit
just put in a longer 5th gear (LS)

Sorry to jump in but I'm in the process of setting up a 91 CRX SI w JDM b16a The tranny and engine are very noisy at cruise ( I drive a LOT at freeway and hiway speeds)and my tuner friend says I can but in an LS 5th gear for better cruise mileage and lower noise. true? should anything be done ith final drive?
thanks!

Long gears blow ass period. Not only will your car be slower, but longer gears put more load on your engine/clutch. A short geared b16/itr tranny in 5th gear at 8200 redline will get you like 150 mph anyways. I'm sure a lot of you guys need a tranny that will go faster than that. :roll:

I don't want to hear any BS about traction problems either because you have too much horsepower. If your having traction problems then get better tires, get a LSD, get better suspesion, get a 2 stage boost controller, etc...

I have had this conversation with B many times and this is not necessarily true just because the LS tranny is longer, as far as I understood it from B it will take you longer to go through the gears with a LS tranny as opposed to a GSR tranny,
B correct me if I misunderstood you.

its a complicated math-in-head scenerio...

the problem is that, comparing it to an rpm range isn't always the most constant of a thing.

compare it to the road.

say, in an all out race, from idel to redline, with no burning (some controlled environment)
it takes the LS tranny 25' to go through first gear
the gsr will take 20'

and so on....

so essentially, it takes more "distance" to be traveled to move up the rpm band.

Back