Ls/vtec Concerns

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dohch22a4

I own a 1991 Integra LS with about 120,000 miles on the odometer. I've researched the LS/VTEC conversion and decided it's a viable and relatively inexpensive alternative to swapping in an ITR engine and tranny.

I have made a list of items that are required and I am open to any suggestions on alternatives or anything I may have forgotten.
The list is as follows:
-B16a head
-Wiring harness
-ECU
-Oil line kit
-Apex'i V-AFC
-New LS timing belt

I really want to use my existing block and just freeze the rods to reinforce them. Is this safe to do or should I obtain a new block or otherwise?

Like I said, I'm totally open to suggestions. The labor is not a problem; I know a couple of experienced mechanics who are going to do it for free.

Thanks for any input. :worthy:

from what i hear freezing the rods make it harder but it also becomes much more brittle.

It's not so much the strength of the rods as the rods bolts that is the concern. Get some ARP bolts, they are like $55 for the LS. Pretty cheap for a little insurance. I would also reccomend that you get a VTEC oil pump, water pump, and timing belt.LS pistons are okay, but your would be better off with some B16 pistons. The valve reliefs are too small in the LS pistons for the VTEC intake valves, so depending on the cams you run there could be interference problems.

Would this combo be a powerful and reliable engine? And would it work?

B18 block, B17 crank, civic type r pistons, civic type r rods, B16a head, civic type r cams, ARP head bolts, GSR water pump, GSR pickup, GSR oil pump, block girdle, and AEM cam gears. Then have everything balanced, head ported polished with dual valve springs, honed block and a block guard. :spin:

Originally posted by ALLMOTO@Apr 2 2003, 01:49 AM
Would this combo be a powerful and reliable engine? And would it work?

B18 block, B17 crank, civic type r pistons, civic type r rods, B16a head, civic type r cams, ARP head bolts, GSR water pump, GSR pickup, GSR oil pump, block girdle, and AEM cam gears. Then have everything balanced, head ported polished with dual valve springs, honed block and a block guard. :spin:

sounds like a reliable setup, but youll need custom rods. i wouldnt go with the aem cam gears though. they have only 3 bolts so they are prone to slippage. go for something like skunk's or, my favorite, Hayame Pro-Gearz(aka SPW cam gears).

sounds alright but the ctr rods won't work as they are not long enough you'll need to go custom. also, if you go with gsr pump you'll need gsr timing belt. i think the best combo would be to stay with ls crank, eagle rods, ctr pistons and have balanced. as far as the p&p i wouldn't worry about that until you have the other components to go with it because gains will be minimal. good luck

Back