Ls/vtec Or B20/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i want to swap one of these into my 94 civic coupe. I want to know which would cost less or if they're the same price when all is said and done. Roughly how much would it cost me. Im thinking of turbo in the future. I was going towards the b16a2 but decided to go a different route. I also wanted to go H22 but changed my mind. Any opinions would be helpful. Like Calesta i want to convert auto to 5spd. (please dont write saying i should sell my car for an manual version.) thnx in advance.

I don't like tellng people to sell their cars,I think it is a good project (auto to manual).I haven't priced them,but I would think with the similar work ans parts list,they would come out the same.Though on average it doesn't seem like a cost effective route if your just looking for more power.If your thinking about turbo and are just a daily driver,look at either of the big three B18B,B18C,or B16A.All are turbo worthy and it comes down to what you want to spend and what kind of access you have to tuning.

b20s are either in early 90s ludes (s,si) or some newer CRVs. I'm not sure if it's as wise of a swap as an LS. Not that I've done it, but from what I hear ls/vtec is pretty pricey depending on your parts hookups. But moreso than pricey, it's mostly an experts only project. The cost also comes in there, if you can build it yourself or if you have to send it to a shop.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Mar 8 2003, 11:00 PM
b20s are either in early 90s ludes (s,si) or some newer CRVs. I'm not sure if it's as wise of a swap as an LS. Not that I've done it, but from what I hear ls/vtec is pretty pricey depending on your parts hookups. But moreso than pricey, it's mostly an experts only project. The cost also comes in there, if you can build it yourself or if you have to send it to a shop.

I read somewhere that the B20 from the earlier Prelude's head bolt holes don't line up with the heads,they are about a half inch off.

CRVtec swaps are becoming a standard swap. We do them at my shop and I have one in my hatch all built with forged internals and turbo'ed. i'm just finishing up that car and expect some big things from it. Basically you need for big stuff...

B20B or B20Z bottom end (98-up CRV engine)
twin cam vtec head. (B16A, B16B, B17A, B18C)
b series tranny... Type R, GSR, SIR, etc...
all the other usual swap parts.

The basic things you need to do is have the head "slightly" machined.
Run an external vtec oil feed line from back of block
B16A, or B18C oil pump, timing belt, timing belt crank pulley

That's the major stuff.. very easy to do.

As a reference, I have a customer putting one into his Civic SI and we're building it for turbo with forged internals, block guard, head gasket, arp's etc... and it's costing him about $3800 plus assembly. But remember that's all forged internals. (he's supplying his own tranny too) Figure this... B series head, $350ish plus cams. $1000 for CRV engine $850ish for tranny... figure about $500 in machine shop and assembly costs for a professional (optional but recommended) and you're at like $2700ish plus small parts, cams, etc... Not bad if u ask me.

Back