LS Vtec turbo build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98EkSi

Figured I would start a thread on my turbo build for my LS Vtec. Car is a 98 EJ7 Civic coupe that started life as a Hx, fast forward 3 years and now is LS Vtec and boost is waiting. Plan is to boost the stock LS block (plus ARP rod bolts) and shooting for 250-300whp. Then build a second B18B1 for 400+whp, this will be a DD car. I already have a Hondata S100 car is running a great LS Vtec tune. ID750cc injectors and walbro 255 fuel pump will take care of the fuel needs. I have started to piece the kit together. Got a cast manifold that will work with AC and PS (I hope) and have a HKS SSQV on the way. I have not fully decided on what turbo yet but have a good idea. This will be slow build as I am buying this as I get the money to, so stick with me.
Pic of my EJ
Vtec001.jpg

Vtec004.jpg

going back a little
DSCF0916.jpg

DSCF0920.jpg

turbo mani, not using the waste gate on it
turbo002.jpg

turbo003.jpg

Last edited:
Yes B16 head off either a OBD2 Del Sol or 99-00 Si, fully rebuilt, decked a little, 3 angle valve job and H22 Type S LMA. Stock B18B1 pistons compression is around 9.6-9.9:1 after decking and the increase from the Vtec head's smaller CC. B16 cams, 99 Si ported intake mani. I did have a head that I P&P but it got ruined by a machine shop (long story that makes me mad). CAI, 4-2-1 header, 2.5" cat back. All in all my current "stock" LS Vtec set up is making 161whp and 125lbft, not to bad. I told myself that a mild LS Vtec would be good but you know how that goes.

the build sounds good, but im surprised with the work on the head that you didnt upgrade the cams. b16a cams are not so great, even gsr cams are an improvement whether NA or boost.

Yeah believe me I know. I have a friend that has some GSR cams I may pick up but I could not get them from him before I got tuned so Im using the B16 cams for now. GSR cams are only good for 5hp over the B16 cams so not a big deal especially when boost is put in as a factor, the B16 cams will for sure not be the limiting factor in my setup. The head work is nothing special either just a basic rebuild and 3 angle valve job, stock springs and retainers, no port work was done to this head. I figured the cost of retuning with GSR cams was not worth the end results, may be when I get tuned for the turbo. I just hate pulling off the timing belt, not that it is hard at all.

Last edited:
Back