Microsoft Songsmith!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
I have no idea how I never heard of this until now.

Microsoft Songsmith is an application that automatically makes music. You sing into the mic, and it procedurally generates a melody to match, all by itself.

That's cool and all, but here's what's awesome: People are taking the vocal tracks from popular songs and running that through the software, creating some amazing (or amazingly hilarious) creations in the process!

Here are a whole bunch of the best ones I've heard so far:

Eye of the Tiger as a ballad:
YouTube - Classic Hits by Microsoft Songsmith: "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor

How about Ozzy Osbourne as a Polka! Vocals start at about 0:40:
YouTube - Classic Hits by Microsoft Songsmith: "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne

I heard it thtough the grapevine:
YouTube - Classic Hits by Microsoft Songsmith: "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye

I think this is my favorite one: 'Take On Me' works hilariously well as a Big Band song! It's a little muddled until the first refrain, then it's awesome.:
YouTube - Take On Me - A-Ha vs Songsmith

And a crapton more awesome ones:

YouTube - Classic Hits by Microsoft Songsmith: "Buddy Holly" by Weezer
YouTube - Classic Hits by Microsoft Songsmith: "Beat It" by Michael Jackson
YouTube - Classic Hits by Microsoft Songsmith: "Roxanne" by The Police
YouTube - Classic Hits by Microsoft Songsmith: "Hotel California" by The Eagles

Yes they suck musically, but the technology and entertainment value make up for it. :)

Last edited:
so if you start singing and don't like the music, you have to start over and hope it plays a new song?

so if you start singing and don't like the music, you have to start over and hope it plays a new song?

You sing first, then it starts processing. It spits out a song that incorporates and matches up with what you sang.

Last edited:
Back