Might Sound Dumb

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

these may be dumb questions but i would like to know. Is the z6 head and the y8 head the same? If not what is the difference and would a y8 head fit on a z6? If dif then what head is better? I know the y8 Intake manifold is better but what about the head? also would a z6 header fit on a y8 head? any help would be great

Basic diffrence is one is obd1 the other is obd2. You are correct when you say that the manifold is better on the y8.

Other than that, they are basicly the same. The y8 is a newer version of the z6

there's differences. the y8 head flows a little better than the z6. the cam is also different. the combustion chamber volume is smaller... 32.8cc while the z6 is 34.6cc. yes the y8 head can fit on a z6.

the y8 head is far superior to that of the z6.

combned with obd1 electronics, the y8 head/mani on an otherwise stock z6 more would see much more gian than the 127, or 2 more hp than the z6. I'd guess easily 133 at the fly on a z6/y8 combo

Ok so if I do get the y8 head what would I need to make it work? Is everyting in my engine backwards compatable with the y8? I have a full z6 and everything works fin i just want to get a head to get PnP without any downtime of my car. also would the y8 head just bolt right up the z6 head with no mods?

it will bolt up, but some of the wiring may be different...
im not sure. you should be able to re-use your z6 stuff.. dizzy, injectors, etc, but the plugs on the motor might be different... i relaly don't know off hand.
I WANT to say it will pug in 100%, but i can't be sure

i dont know about saying far superior. The y8 flows better, but on the intake side one of the intake ports has an angel cut to it which makes the air swirl into the cyclinder. The swirl is good for ecomeny but i heard losses in high rmp power cause of it. people are porting the angel down to prevent that. yes the y8 has better port to start with but, I would say the z6 with some port work would be just as good if not better than the y8. Intake manifolds, i would pick the y8 hands down. just look at it. :p

All the information I have states that the Z6 head flows better than the Y8 head. The Y8 intake manifold is superior to the Z6's... but the head's swirl ports mess up the flow of air into the combustion chamber at high velocities. Top end power is better with the Z6 head because of the higher quality air flow.

Go read up a little bit guys.

Why else would Honda need a better intake manifold and a more aggressive cam on the Y8 to only make 2hp more?

The Y8 head also has a smaller combustion chamber and slightly better quench pads for detonation reduction... but the Z6 head flows better and makes more power up top.

so, if he's porting it anyway, he can get rid of the swirl right? then he would have a better head, with the smaller chamber, he can get a higher CR..

The ported Z6 head will still flow better than the ported Y8 head. You have more to start with, plus you have straight runners, plus you have better separation of the intake charge from the port entrance for smoother flow and higher air velocity etc...

The difference in compression is usually only about .6:1 between the two heads, with everything else kept constant. If he wants the higher compression ratio and he's going to have the head machined/ported anyway, just port the Z6 head and mill some of the material off the bottom to gain the compression back.

if you already have the y8 head then port the angle down. If you dont then dont watse your time, just buy the z6. the time and money you would put into cutting that angle down on the y8 would make a bad ass z6 head. do a mild port job and put some money in to the valve springs and what not. Go z6

Back