Mini ---> Robot

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the movement of the robot seems to fluid to be real. it moves better than those little sony robots.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Apr 7 2004, 12:44 AM
the movement of the robot seems to fluid to be real. it moves better than those little sony robots.

yeah thats what made me think it was fake, but they are talking about it on the site like its real so who knows.

and fuck asimo. SONY QRIO is what its about :)

Dare I say publicity for new Transformer's movie coming up. That movie has some great CGI to it's aid.

Even if this wasn't based on a Cooper, Here are some flags:
1) This guy, as you have pointed out, has built a robot in privacy that Honda, Sony, and the world's leaders couldn't build.
2) Given that, he is very quick to release photos, plans, and video of it.
3) He's engineering this to be autonomous.

With that said, we'll push it farther:
1) Since he's used the Cooper as a platform, it's logical to assume to that he plans on building a transformer. He wants to drive this somewhere.
2) His robotic arm test is reticulated in an axis that the arms mounted in the "photo ops" are not mounted. Different arm.
3) If he is successful not only in building a robot that can move that well, but also transform - We're talking about a guy that has overcome countless engineering problems since the 40's.

But hey, good luck if it's not a scam. I'm leaning toward it being a hoax, and a trailer for Transformers :)

-> Steve

This was on Slashdot a few weeks ago and proven fake. It's clearly CGI in many places.
It's a cleverly setup ad for the Mini. If you whois lookup the site, it belings to an advertizing company that specializes in TV commercials. <_<

You can tell its CG because they did a shity job compositing it into the live film. Notice that the man never comes in contact with the robot and in the "Light Tracking in a Dark Environment: 25 August" clip the man's shadow does not touch the robot, even though he crosses in between the robot and the light source. Also look at the one of it stopping the car, looks completely fake.

Very well done, really. There are flaws, but nothing on that scale is perfect.....

There's a Transformer's movie coming out? Time to pop open the old DVD and watch it again.

:D :D :D

Originally posted by driverunknown@Apr 8 2004, 11:20 PM
I wanted it to be real so bad :(

Me too... But if it were real this guy would be decades ahead of the rest of the scientific community in robotics... Every government and major corporation in the world would be after that technology.

Back