motor swap question (performance)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wifeCRVmeEF

whats up guys:cool:
i have aquired a 88 civic EF hatch and have been doing my research here and there and being some what new to this (honda family) i really would like to build a reliable fast daily driver that i can even take to my local autoX. i had owned and sold my 2007 Honda Fit that was fun to drive and great contender when i was autoX'ing it.
i really like the small 1.5 SOHC, and the 1.6 DOHC that honda offers. here is an article i read about the D15B VTEC engine: D15B 1.5l SOHC VTEC i really liked reading up on this cause i am very fond of SOHC motors. what my question is which would likely be the easier swap for me. i am diving into this with a friend of mine and with my budget i want to get a motor that will perform well and can take a beating. I have read all about the "mini me" here and in honda-tech forum. that to me sounds like a direction to go to.
And when it comes to the B16 swap is the B16A the easiest one for my here. i bought the vehicle with hasport mounts for a B16 swap. I just want a motor like i said that will perform well.
i am not looking to better my E.T. cause i am more for autoX. you know 130-150HP range.
any advice will help.
one thing i like in the Honda world is that there are many swaps out and i know there is one that will fit my need.:D
Also which is better for my need the D16Y8 or the D16Z6? will that be an easy swap?

Last edited:
What is your budget to start things off with? Welcome back to the family. :thumbsup: We thought we'd lost you after you sold your Fit. :D

you know i am going to throw a # out there, but i would like to be under or about the $2000.00 range. The car was $550.00 and then new oil, valve cover gasket, tune-up, etc...i am in the car for like $700.00 now. My motor is in good condition, but it is not the choice for autoX...so is $2000.00 enough or not even close.
I miss my FIT. They say it is the new era EF and i am hatchback fanatic so the EF was the platform i chose for a project.

Last edited:
A B16 is easy to swap in. Costs more than 2000 though for block and trans. But that's really well suited for autox. Very short gears and lots of power up high where the gears will keep you.

if you are going to autox, buy your suspension first. get tires, and brakes. get an engine after it's set up properly.

i would personally get an obd0 b16 for it. should be able to come in under $2k if you can do the labor yourself.

if you are going to autox, buy your suspension first. get tires, and brakes. get an engine after it's set up properly.

i would personally get an obd0 b16 for it. should be able to come in under $2k if you can do the labor yourself.

i know your point cause i did that with my Fit since it was a new car i was not worried about the motor. Still my question is about the single cam D15B and the D16Z6 and Y8...how well will those choices be over the DOHC B16? This older guy had a clean EF Si with its stock single cam motor and it was all suspension that had him running fast. I would like to stay spec in STS when i get back to autoXing.
Or " if " i do go DOHC which B16 would i go with? what year vehicle?:(

just get an obd0 b16. it will be a lot better, plus you can order it with an lsd.

www.hmotorsonline.com

if you want to keep the d, you will need quite a few mods to catch up to the b16.

d15b would be easiest. how much power do you want.

look at the link i posted. it will show the engine on there and how much it cost.

the easiest thing to do would be to drop your car off at a shop and plop down the $2,000.

d15b would be easiest. how much power do you want.

look at the link i posted. it will show the engine on there and how much it cost.

the easiest thing to do would be to drop your car off at a shop and plop down the $2,000.

looking to scream about 200hp. with the B16
or about 150hp with the single cam
thanks for the help my friend:D

i'll give you this clue. click on that link, and find b16's. it's 3 clicks away. take a guess at which would be best for you. post your answer and i'll let you know if you are right or not.

looking to scream about 200hp. with the B16
or about 150hp with the single cam
thanks for the help my friend:D

just a swap isnt going to get you those numbers but you if you get a sohc then you would have some money left over to start saving for a turbo with a good tune or build the engine with what you got left but it wont be much

just a swap isnt going to get you those numbers but you if you get a sohc then you would have some money left over to start saving for a turbo with a good tune or build the engine with what you got left but it wont be much

of course i know that a swap will not get me them #'s...i am talking once its in then i will work on internals...that will be in the long run. no boost for me al NA power here:ph34r:

D15s are meh. Gas savers. My friend has one. It's not that fast. Idk what else to say about it. D's or B's are easy swaps. Wiring is the only issue you'll ever have to worry about there.

ITBs are 3/4ths of your budget alone... g'luck friend..

A D16Z6 or D15B swap, converted to OBD1 with a chipped P28 ECU, a 59300 cam, valve springs and a I/H/E will get you close to 150 HP, with a tune.;)

And that will give you a cheap, fairly powerful, fun, reliable daily driver.

Everyone underestimates the SOHC D-series engines. They do have potential.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30021

at least now i have an idea of the what and where i should go. I know the single cams dont that much love, but i see the difference in $$$ with the D series and the B series^_^

Back