my civic sounds like its redlining at 3500

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1994ex

when i step on the gas it can only rev up to 3500 and then it sounds like its redlining. It idles kinda sluggish. What could be the problem? can anyone help?

i checked the codes and i get code21-variable valve timing and valve lift solenoid, code3and5-check map sensor and circuit

yeah, sounds like you jumped time. Line up the timing marks on the crank pulley and the cam pulley to their respective spots. (they dont point at eachother)

If one is on and the other is off, you jumped time. With all those codes I would say that is more than likely what it is.

Originally posted by 1994ex@Jul 19 2005, 03:58 PM
how can i fix it. can i do it myself?
[post=528626]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, you can do it yourself if you have a few tools.. Its pretty simple. But be sure to check the timing belt, make sure it isn't cracking or missing teeth. I would certainly suggest a chilton manual for it, if you dont know for sure what you are doing. You can bend / smash valves working on the timing belt of a honda if you do it just exactly wrong. a $16.00 chilton is cheap insurance.

If it did jump time, you should also look into finding out WHY it jumped time. Teeth missing on the timing belt is usually the case, but if a rock or a screw or bolt or something got loose inside the timing cover, that would cause it too. Could also be the cam binding. That would be BAAAAD. Be sure to figure out why. That way you arent adjusting the belt every weekend.

Back