My Dyno Sheet For All The Hatters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kevin you are a little mis informed about the vitara setup. For one the vitaras are still a cast piston but they are made of a diffrent grade alumnium. For two the thing i mentioned above about the wristpin height it is .080 shorter (sorry ive said .060 many times but it is .080) and lowers your compression way to low unless you run custom length rods. Stock Dseries rods are 137.0mm with vitars you need a 139.0 for 8.5:1 with a z6 head and 139.5 for 9.0:1

And i do understand the difference between static comp and dynamic comp but the only thing that very low compression ratios are good for are braging rights about how much boost you are runing.

Also the same day i tuned my car i also tuned a D16Z6 with ls rods machined to fit wit bronz bushings and Vitaras with a Gt30 at 16psi. The best numbers i could get out of it was like 197hp and 185tq it didnt have a boost controller on it so we were stuck using the spring in the wastegate. Needles to say this person orderd a set of FJT rods from the guy on honda-tech and i tuned it a month later and it made 309hp 253tq with nothing more than a rod change and a tune. Customer was verry happy and wished he had talked to me before he built his engine. Also this same guy about 2 months later instaled a boost controler cam and valvetrain and we retuned it on 22lbs and made 419hp 304tq. The engine crack the #4 sleve about 6mo later and he sold the car

Last edited:
I understand they're a different grade aluminum, but IMO if you're going to "upgrade", might as well go forged. Also, I've only heard of the different grades concerning aftermarket Vitaras. This means that a NPR or YCP Honda piston would be of similar grade.

Back