My First Rebuild Y7/Z6 mini-me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bye to the boxed up block. That sucks about the crank.

Gotcha lol. Yeah, but it's a learning experience, I should have checked it for specs before I bought it and the same with the guy who sold it should have also done so. I did talk to him and he would gladly refund my money if it can't be used, so it'll work out one way or the other ;)

So everything is kinda on hold as far as updates go.
I've been uber busy with work and crap and had some change of plans.
I picked up a 1997 Del Sol "S", D16Y7 w/ 136k miles (not my ideal car but a big upgrade from the VX)and I sold the Hatch to cushion the blow. I thought about keeping the hatch but I can't afford upkeep on one and a rebuild on the other right now. I'll post pics when I get time untill then I'm gonna enjoy my new A/C! :cool:

What about the engine I've been building for over a year now? Well I guess it's gonna end up in the Sol hehe! ;)

Bye Bye Hatchback, Hello Del Sol

I'll miss you FEowna:
IMG_0010.jpg

Time for a fresh Sol! ('97 Del Sol 'S') Meet Delilah Soul:
IMG_0949.jpg

First post has been updated too. Real updates to come....slowly
Engine build still in the works

Last edited:
Nice! How much? I want a del sol chassis...

Thankz! I'll end up paying roughly kbb value, which I thought was pretty fair honestly. Now I have to figure out all the tricks in swapping my soon to be motor in this car. The 96-97 Sol's seem to be a beast of thier own but shouldn't be too hard to get it done :cool:

For me, it would be an OBD issue on smog/inspection. Much easier to pass with a custom ECU setup that they're not going to plug into.

Nope, not going to do build threads anymore until something is complete. :D

I can't say I blame you there, but when is it ever complete? I had started this one a few months after I got the plan together and started buying parts.
I "dislike" reading build threads where the first post is the "wish list"/plan" of all the parts they will buy or do, because 90% of the time it becomes a failed thread. I try to only post what I've already bought or already done, but still yet things change like me selling the Hatch for the Sol which was better starting point (and had A/C).

I called my machine shop the other day and nothing has been touched yet. Don't really matter anyway because I'm trying to sort my money out now to finish buying the rest of the parts I need. I have a fealing this will end up graging through the winter before it's done...maybe

THIS GUY IS A SPAM BOT (of some sort)-->
hey if it isnt together yet i have some d16 eagle hbeams for sale if your interested. asking 250 shipped they are new in box.

THIS IS THE REAL POST THAT HE STOLE IN ORDER TO LOOK LEGIT QUOTE-->
hey if it isnt together yet i have some d16 eagle hbeams for sale if your interested. asking 250 shipped they are new in box.

^^^Well you are an interesting spam bot arn't you!!! I KICK YOU IN THE BALLZ WITH THE REPORT BUTTON FOOL!!! :ph34r:

Last edited:
Note to self: If you ever feel the need to change one of the titles to your photo bucket albums...DON"T...
Pics fixed, Dang it!

Last edited:
PG6 Pistons on D16Y7 rods with ARP rod bolts:
IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

D16Z6 Crank ground down to .020 mains and .030 rod journals:
IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

D16Y7 Griddle:
IMG_0998.jpg

The trash in the cylinder left over from the machine shop that you can't really see with the naked eye:
IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

I figured I'd paint it up real fast too:
IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

Kermit loves to help but didn't want to stay still long enough for a snap shot lol:
IMG_1045.jpg

D16Y7 Block = 2 coats of block primer, painted aluminum silver (iirc), and 2 coats of engine clear:
IMG_1048.jpg

Back to it's display stand lol:
IMG_1052.jpg

Back