my new toy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FFCiv

Last night I picked up my first bike: a 2000 zx6r. It currently does not run as the previous owner left gas in the tank from last summer with no stabilizer. So I am venturing a guess that the carbs are all gunked up.
Here are a couple pictures.
15017485636.jpg

15017480199.jpg

15017470160.jpg

im from CT. it is a number 8. funny thing is the dude i bought it from was aa big black guy named victor. extremely nice and funny guy and i guess has a thing for nascar

get ready to start burning oil... kawi's are famous for burning oil and lacking power... but nice LOOKing bike. Good for a first timer though. I doubt the carbs are gunked up from bad gas, but I'd suggest a carb sync anyway, and then run a couple of tanks of premium and carb cleaner to make sure. Replace the fuel filter too. Bad gas doesn't cause a bike to not run, it'll just run kinda crappy.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
get ready to start burning oil... kawi's are famous for burning oil and lacking power...

They are? Since when?

Its like going to a camaro board wanting to hear something good about a mustang.

Kaws are good bikes, besides everybike has their own issues. some Honda F4i owners have changed their CCTs 5+ times in under 10K miles, some Honda 600RRs burned oil from day one. blah blah blah.

Besides power wise the ZX12R has been one of the big dogs for the last 5 years. right up there with the busa.
now they have the ZX14R.

on top of that the ZX10R has been rated the most sick bike out of the liter bikes since day one. it's also the most likly to never give you a 2nd chance and kill you faster then anything else out there.

I'm specifically talking about the older ones, you may have gotten lucky, but EVERYONE I know that has own an 80's or 90's kawi ninja, has had nothing but complaints about the engine. Granted, they are still diehard fans of the bike, but the engines were crappers. I haven't heard of that being the case for the newer ones. Being that yours is a 2000, you may be in the clear.

and double :werd: to the zx10r I want one. a guy wanted to sell me his with an ohlins rear shock and new 208gp's for 8k. I had just bought my R6 new, and was like, "F me!". He tracked a sick gsxr1000 in AMA amatuer road racing, and had no need for the zx10r.

Pulled off tank and airbox today. gonna try pouring carb cleaner into the carbs tomarrow before i go pulling them off and give it some fresh gas.

if the gas is only a year old, it should run just really crappily. my wrecked 98 accord still starts and runs with gas that's a year and a half old. regular, too.

Carbs or EFI, bad gas is bad gas, and will do the same to both. Both types of fuel systems can get dirty and gunked up, carbs are just older technology.

when I got my Z, it had 13 year old gas in it...it still ran fine....and it was carbed....

Back