Need Exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well with mandrel bending, the diameter of the piping will say the same but with crush bending, it gets a little bit smaller.

onefastcivic, i dont think u get 15-25 xtra hp by adding a muffler dude, maybe with intake and headers u can get that but not just a lone muffler

the biggest gains you'll get will be from a header, IMHO.

I got a DC Sports JDM 4-into-1 1-piece header with a 2½" collector. With my suspension, and the extra weight of my swap, I will have to raise the front.... the runners dip down a bit before going into the collector, and I've scraped the one runner in a few places. Easy fix. You'd have no problem with stock suspension.

The header i got "claims" 12-14 hp at peak on top of my B18B1 specs.... you can see my website for comparisons and links to engine hp and torque ratings.

BUT.... with my exhaust, i did a free-flow catalytic converter, into 2¼" pipe, back to a stainless muffler, with removable silencer. The pipe was done with all crush bends, and it took a lot of bends to get around the right-rear suspension, kinda zig-zag around. I would much prefer mandrel bends, which keeps the same interior diameter of the pipe, and a constant radius through the entire bend. For exhaust, this is a god-send, as it would probably improve my peak performance a whole lot. But I simply don't have the money right now. I need a clutch ($780 parts/labor), and soon, new tires.

Without the silencer, I'm supposed to get about 2-4 horsepower, versus having the silencer locked in. I like the sound of both, not too raspy or weedeater-sounding. But without the silencer, people behind you can definitely hear you, and the car noticably "sputters", making a cool sound when you're losing revs and staying in a high gear. The most noise comes from the Cold Air Intake vibrating under acceleration, until you get over 3500-3700 rpms, and then its the exhaust being just damned loud. The silencer quiets the sound, yes, and adds a little back-pressure, keeping the sputtering sound from waking your neighbors as you try to sneak in. But the best thing about the silencer is that it alters the torque curve, where you can drive between 1200-1800 rpm all day long with the silencer in. With it out, you have to rev a bit higher to get the same power..... i'm not saying it's a lot, but with a loud exhaust, it's nice to have the OPTION of going semi-stealth. The muffler was $109, where my other choices were all $99. With or without the silencer, I can still whomp just about any stock ride.

Looking forward to a new clutch..... maybe an underdrive pulley????

I will try to get pictures in about two weeks, up on my site, til then you can see a list of all mods.

if your just looking for sound...get a cheap intake and have someone weld a universal muffler onto your stock piping. that will cost you in total about 180. pacesetter....which isnt that bad of an exuast, only sounds shity on cars with hi flow cats...or straight pipe. i bought monza cat back for about 180 after shipping and it sounded great on my car... nice deep tone but with CAI of course. but it was ugly yellow tip and wasnt loud enough for me so i kept the piping from it( 2.50) and had a matrix muffler welded on it in place of the monza. sounds awesome now. but if your lookin for great sound,performance, at a great price...get a Flowmaster cat back...theyre about 175. oh yeah.....Tanabe, Apexi, and especialy GReddy are namebrand last time i checked.

Back