Need Help On Ls Vtec Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ladybug_legend

i have a '93 civic hatchback with a ls motor, i want to do a ls vtec, with a gsr head. thing is, i'm not sure what model dc sport header to buy. which model would best fit this conversion, ls or gsr header? also which pistons should i use, ctr or itr? would i have to use some sleeves on my block, or is it not necessary? could i use ls aem pulley kit for this conversion or does it have to be gsr?

and if i do decide to go ls vtec turbo, could i use a greddy ls turbo kit or a gsr turbo kit? i don't know much about turbo, so i don't know if it would work in my civic.

i would like any suggestions out there. thanks.

first of all use a b16 head... not gsr. the b16 head flows better than the gsr. the b16 head are generally easier to get a hold of and therefor less expensive. dc header's also aren't the greatest. look into a jdm ITR header, it will bolt right up to the b16 head. CTR pistons will give you a higher CR (about 12:1 vs. the ITR's 11.3:1). you would not have to sleeve your block, although it would be a good idea if you boost it, but you'll be fine runnin' a N/A set up on stock sleeves. i don't know 'bout the pulley kit, i've always herd that they're not worth the hassle. when/if you do go turbo, forget greddy. check out http://www.ks-motorsports.com/ and get the right manifold for your head and you'll be set, seein' how most of the pipeing is custom anyways. but to a little more reseach before you go boltin' a turbo kit on, you're gonna wanna atleast get some lower CR pistons when the time come. good luck.

-kyle.

Don't go dumping a GSR head for a B16 because someone told you they flowed better. The difference in flow is really insignificant and it is nothing a little head work can't take care of. Use which ever head you can get for less cash. Sleeves are not necessary for na NA application, unless you want to ge to 2.0l. Before you attempt and of this read everything you can about what ever you are planning on doing. (Ignore the bunk article that floats around about R/S ratio making the LSVTEC suck)

i agree about the b16 head. The GS-R head is better. First off, it flows very well and second, the GS-R head has quench zones and a better combustion chamber design. If you get the block decked ect. you can have just as high compression as putting the b16 head on there.

Originally posted by MACspeed@Apr 9 2003, 07:41 PM
i agree about the b16 head. The GS-R head is better. First off, it flows very well and second, the GS-R head has quench zones and a better combustion chamber design. If you get the block decked ect. you can have just as high compression as putting the b16 head on there.

1. The GSR head doesn't flow noticeably better stock. I've seen two identical B20/VTEC setups in action, one with a stock GSR head (Intercrew's personal build) and one with a stock B16 head (mine) and they put the exact same power to the wheels. Other sites have flow diagrams supporting this too.
2. Decking the block reduces compression- milling it increases compression. The B16 head will give less compression than a GSR head on the same block, with all other items kept the same.

Back