need help with B16A2 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bluejcivic

i have tried searching but have found nothing really useful, so hopefully someone here can help. im swapping in a obd2b b16a2 into a 93 civic si. i have everything i need to bolt in the motor. im just puzzled with the wiring. i have the harness off the sir, but im missing one ecu plug (under dash) and i have the p2t ecu. so im planning on using the harness off the d16z6 and modifying it for the b16.

mods to harness
swapping out obd2b dizzy guts for obd1 guts
changing injectors to obd1 civic injectors
re-pinning obd2b alternator plug to obd1 plug
lengthening whatever wires i need to

if i do this, can i use the obd2b ecu with a obd1 jumper harness? or do i need a different ecu...like p30 for example?
what do i do about that evap sensor on the fuel rail? i would only need to keep it if i used the obd2b ecu right?

i appreciate any help

yup, stick with obd1. its far more friendly to tune with and that's what you car is anyway.

be careful with the alternator... we did that on E's swap, and it simply didn't charge.

I have a 95 Del Sol with d15b7 i want an entire motor/ tranny swap. Will a b16a2 bolt in ? Or what other motor do you guys suggest i put in ?

you have 2 choices:
1: if your not planning on doing any tuning in the future just leave the engine and the harness as is, it should plug into your civic shock tower plug, then get a 0bd1 to 0bd2 conversion harness and use the stock ecu that came with that engine (obd2)
2: as was stated before, if your planning on turbo,nos etc.. then leave the engine harness as is once more and use a obd1 ecu...

i have put 0bd2 engines in 92-95 civic without touching the engines harness and just using conversion harnesses to use the ecu the engine came with and never had any issues,
the only time i had to switch over harnesses is when i swapped a obd1 b18 in a 99 obd2 civic, and when i did my h2b swapp.. hope that clear it up a bit..

the harness that came out of the sir wont match up under the hood, its the one piece kind, and even if i ran it through the fire wall, it only has 2 out of 3 plugs for the ecu. if i use a jumper and the stock d16z6 harness and modify it to fit is it still a obd2 motor or 1?

ok i stand corrected.. ok your on the right track.. you need to find both engine harness wiring diagrams(just look up the car the engine came out of) so when doing the switch over , you know exactly what sensor is what and where it goes, some times when you have everything off the engine it can get a little confusing,, good to have a reference..
the engine obd is basically whatever harness is on the engine, in your case obd1..
so as was stated before use obd1 ecu , P30, P72, or programed P28
the b16a2 engines will be vtec, but iam not 100% sure if the d16z6 was vtec or not, if not,, dont for get you will have to run vtec wires, knock sensor, vtec solenoid, and vtec pressure solenoid.. if it was vtec your set...
and the obd2 engine i swaped into obd1 car was a 99 integra engine in a 92-95 civic cant remember, but that engine does have 3 plugs...

Last edited:
ive taken the harness off my own b16 enough times that i could put it back on in the dark lol. obd2 integras use a 2 piece harness, so if i had one of those it would plug right in, but i have a civic sir harness which means i am going to have to get creative and modify the d16z6 harness. its a vtec harness so i just need to run a knock sensor and possibly EVAP sensor. everything else should be perfect. the obd2b alternator plug has 9 wires just like a obd1 civic, so i should be able to switch that easily,

when ever i check the sites for obd2b-obd1 conversion harness, they all mention putting a older motor into a newer car. is there a jumper for putting a newer motor in a older car?

I have seen them but they are primarly for JDM ECUs. The problem is that the OBD2 system is more complex and even if you adapt the ECU your OBD1 chassis will not support all of the OBD2 functions. Generally people prefer to stick with the OBD1 system & change to a OBD1 ECU P30, P72, or programed P28.

Back