Need help with Cadillac radio!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok, so my buddy is putting a 2000 OEM Deville head unit into his 2004 Deville. The problem is that the ECU reads the VIN Which is programmed into the radio and then decides if you can use it or not. Well the real problem is that even if you have all the correct Theftlock codes and VINS the 2004 software will absolutely not allow reading older radios, so he's almost fucked, and that brings us to the "solution" that I need help with.

The "solution" is to remove the EEPROM from the PCB in the radio. Doing this has varying effects depending on the radio, everything from catastrophic failure, to working fine without needing the codes. Ideally this disables the check for the VIN and allows the radio to function. The varying side effects are loss of ability to program, or hold presets when power is lost, no more clock, basically anything that relies on memory can be compromised.

My question is, can someone tell me how to identify a EEPROM chip? It is supposed to be the only 8 legged chip on the board, but mine has 5 of them, and none in the place where the demo radio had them in the video I watched.

needs bro-ham edition upgrade.

eeprom chips can have many legs. i wouldn't go by leg count as an identifier.
try to find the correct chip's code. it will look something like this:
!B-tvmb!BGk~$(KGrHqYOKi4EzV4HhgE3BM9eDCiD4!~~_35.JPG

I was just using the leg count to identify the chip that needed to be removed, as in the other versions of the radio there is only one 8 leg, and it's the one you remove. I tried Googling some of the text on the chips and got nothing useful, links to random Chinese and Russian catalogs, or weird technical papers.

Also, since they have rubber cement covering them, some I can't read what's on top.

Back