need help with swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93Red LUde

how hard would it be to swap an h23 for an h22 ?? and is it worth it?!?!?! what would be the problems that i would run into??? would i be able to use my h23 wiring harness???im a nube and this need help.... :unsure: <---thats me dumbfounded

This swap is totally worth it! I just did the same thing in my Prelude. It's really not a hard swap, since H22s are stock in vtec preludes, basically the only hard part is wiring vtec. You shouldn't encounter any major problems at all.

it's easy. All it requires is the addition of the vtec wires (3 in total, with 2 going to the ECU and 1 going to the ground).

Do it. If you motor is in poor shape. Otherwise you could always turbo your h23.. :D

H23 torque is at least close to the H22. IMHO, if I had a prelude with an H23, I think I would buy cams and upgrade the valvetrain before swapping motors. That is, unless your motor is shot. Of course, if you are going to build a monster, the H22 is a better starting point.

My $.02

see i am thinking bout just takin the h23 and boring it to 20 or 30 over, or just putting the h22 in but i am not sure which one i should do..... also money is a factor too....soooooo what do yall thing h22 or bored?!?!?!? also i heard that there was a difference between the 92 vtec's and the 96 vtec's if so what are they?!?!?

H23 Bored or H22..........H22.

H23 turbo=badass

H22 Turbo=even more badass

H23 bored=somewhat badass + assload of cash

H23+cams=better than H22 stock

H22 + cams= hell yesssssss

H22+cams+gears+hondata=I love you

H22+cams=gears+hondata+turbo= Can I buy you diamonds baby?

Originally posted by tab@Mar 27 2004, 02:51 AM

H23+cams=better than H22 stock

im not sure about this, I mean your not gonna get 40 hp out of a set of cams, and as well you well still not have vtec which equals worse gas mileage overall. Being that the torque specs are almost the same on the two motors stock, I would say that yes an h23 with cams will make more torque but to say that it is gonna be better than an h22 is at all true i dont think. also when you say better you must think of the potential of the two, the h22 stock still is a much more potential motor than just an h23 with cams.
You must just look at budget. An h23 boosted is in fact going to be a powerful setup but an boost fed h22 is going to be better but more expensive, due to tuning boost with vtec. So in the end it all comes down to how thick your wallet is.

Originally posted by tab@Mar 26 2004, 08:17 PM
Of course, if you are going to build a monster, the H22 is a better starting point.

I quote myself. I'm talking in terms of power per dollar for a guy that may not have two grand to spend on an H22. $500 worth of cams and a little tuning would go a long way on an H23. Gas Mileage? Who gets good gas mileage at 7000 rpms?

Also, we all know that torque is what moves the car, period.

HP= (torque x rpms)/5200

If you changed the H23's torque curve so that it made the SAME power at a higher rpm, then by definition the HP number would be higher.

Look at this. Lets say a civic made 100 ft lbs of torque at 5500 rpms.

HP=(100 x 5500)/5200 =~106HP

Ok, same torque at, lets say, 8500 rpms

HP=(100 x 8500)/5200 =~163HP

same power, with the same torque curve can have a lower HP number if that curve starts at a lower rpm point. IE, a higher spinning H22 will have a higher HP number than an H23 with the same amount of power. The H23 is a good engine with plenty of potential. That potential IS NOT as good as the H22, but I wouldn't throw out a good engine and pay a bunch of money for such a small gain.

STILL, my .02

oh, and don't forget the naaaaws.... :)

I am going to say something that I have not heard for a while. H22/H23 hybrid. Put an H22 head on your h23 all you have to do is remove one oil jet and it pretty much bolts up. Do a search on this site or H-T, I remember someone posting a link up about it a while back. All you need for the H22/H23 hybrid to be killer is some nice high compression pistons or low compression pistons depending on what route you plan on going. However if you are going to do the Hybrid you might want to look into a H22 transmission as I have heard that the H23 gearing is not optimal.

Back