Need Input Just put new USDM P30 ECU in

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CAFROG

Honda Minion
VIP
This afternoon (and most of the evening lol) I installed a B16A3 Intake Manifold, Purge Solenoid, a USDM TB that has a place for the MAP on the top (My JDM was on the firewall) and a USDM 5-speed P30 ECU. I switched these parts with the JDM B16A parts I had on my 92 Si swap.

I have a question about the ECU change as it relates to the timing. I had my timing advanced with the JDM P30 and I'm wondering if the timing went back to a default (stock) by changing in a different ECU? I feel a difference (more low end and less top) from the other ECU. I don't think I'm just trippin' but maybe I could be lol. It does feel different.

The whole change over (my first IM change) took me about 5 and a half hours (with a friend to help me scrap the gasket off). I busted my Knock Sensor from its housing (thats attched to the metal bolt) when I tried to take the oil filter off from the top (yes I felt dumb lol). So I thought I would have a CEL. I left the plug hooked up the what was left from the senor (nipple and all) and tucked it up in on the harness. I also loosened the nut attached to the block (for when I change it). No CEL??? I think it could be thinking its still good hooked up (it is technically). I'll unhook it tomorrow to check.

Also, I left the support bracket off for now. I was wondering if someone could tell me if thats okay or not?
I know Skunk2 and Edlebrock don't re-use it.

Well...I put the IM bracket back on....what a piece of crap that thing is to put back on. And....found out my driver's side axle boot is effed and has a nice slice in it. Passenger side is getting grease all over too. Looks like I'm getting new axles soon.

No input on the ECU change?

timing should be the same.. i think the fuel maps are a tad different on the JDM version though, but not 100% on that though

Check this out....I unplugged the Knock Sensor form the clip and I still have no CEL. What the eff?? I only let it run a minute or two but I'm thinking I got some mod'ed P30? All the numbers and the sticker look right. Maybe it needs to run longer? We'll see. I'll call the place I got the ECU from tomorrow

Last edited:
well, when my knock sensor wasnt hooked up i wouldnt throw a CEL until i actually got on it.. then it'd pop up

Okay....I'll do that after work today.

it throws a cel when he hits the gas nd drives it. im pretty sure thats because its not sensing any vibration. which might cause timing inssues.

Looks like the JDM map is a bit more advanced. Ill pos pics in a bit.

USDM P30 Low Ignition map

USDMP30low.jpg

USDM P30 High Ignition map

USDMP30High.jpg

JDM P30 Low Ignition map

JDMp30low.jpg

JDM P30 High Ignition map

JDMP30High.jpg

So I "got on it" after work and it (CEL) still didn't pop up. It drives perfectly fine (except I still need a new Main Relay) and I'm wondering if its even worth worrying about.

In terms of the different ECU's....looks like the fuel maps are different. Better MPG?? lol

I was driving it today and got a CEL. I thought it was finally the knock sensor code but when I checked it.....TPS. Car doesn't idle weird but I got the light telling me its bad. I got the TB a while ago and could tell the TPS wasn't the stock one (Phillips screws). I got the old one off my JDM TB that works but I HATE trying to get those leads in to check the voltage.

Any tips on piercing those dull leads in???

if its a stock MAP that hasnt been messed with, i'd just swap it out.. everything should be set on it

Edit: started a thread on my TPS problem....the name of this thread wont draw the right attention

Stupid screw came loose on the TPS No CEL but need to check with Multimeter.....I think. CEL is gone and it runs fine. It was only the top bolt that came loose.

Last edited:
Back