Need More Rpm!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
hey just wondering how I could get more RPM before redline out of my B16A2. And no 8,000 rpm isn't enough, I'm not even sure 12k would be. I'm a rev junkie and I understand this....

You would want to build your head. Do a p & p, 3 angle valve job, springs, retainers. And basically if you dont get cams all of this is nearly worthless, because your motor most likely wouldnt make much power past 8000 rpm without more agressive cams, and I would suggest new cam gears as well. All in all a well built head can be found for around $1200 or so. I would checkThe Parts Trader Webpage there are usually people selling built heads.

12k rpm? Get a custom stroke crankshaft with a really really really short stroke, get really really really long rods, then rev all day while you make no power. :lol:

nope sorry I would rather 9k my b20 hybrid while racing a vette LOL j/k. it wouldn't be worth it if there was no power gain. At first I wanted to go turbo, but then I started to think about it and I think I might want to persue this instead. Problem is I really know nothing about it, I guess the only way would be a n/a setup but then that's just a guess....

anybody know what I could get up to realistically??

I believe its best to shift at peak horsepower but not redline because going into your next shift you can get into the peak quicker or something like that but...to get to a higher rpm...you just want to change your torque curve so it is peaking around 9k by doing the extreme head work and what not like that.

That is what I was taught but it was a v8 guy who told me this shit....

:p to SilverChild. :lol:

Realistically, you could probably make good power on a B20 or GSR setup running up to 9500-10000 rpm. That takes a lot of money though. I'll let you know how it goes.

:D :D :D

Slammed89- 9k rpm isn't some kind of magic number... but if you can maintain a flat torque curve to redline, then higher revs are a good thing for more power. If your torque is starting to fall off at higher revs, it doesn't matter as much. You want the maximum area under the power curve for maximum acceleration. The peak location is of much less importance. As for shift points, you typically want to shift a little past your peak, so that your next gear starts below your peak. Maximize the area under the power curve being used for each gear, and you'll have the fastest acceleration. Shift at your peak, and you'll be slower because you'll be climbing to max power all the time, rather than using it.

Back