New build quiestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

treystoys

Hey guys go easy on me here, I'm a subaru guy and daily drive a mildly built wrx with jdm ver8 sti motor and 3076 turbo set up. I recently aquired a nicely done 93 hatch with a sohc turbo set up.

The motor is a d15b8 bottom end, newly built with stock parts, and a d16z6 head with a port polish multi angle valve job, and arp head studs, the motor is still being broken in. It has a small t3 turbo with a .46 a/r exhaust side. It also has a hondata s300 ecu set up which coming from the subaru open ecu stuff is quite nice. I'm currently breaking it in with a base map and have the rev limit turned down to 6k.

My quiestions are what is a good rev limit for this set up, what type of compression does it have, and safely what kind of boost can it handle. I'm not looking for a race car set up, only a fun quick daily driver. I'm guessing a car as light as this with a projected 180whp would be good for dipping into the 14s at the track with little or no fuss.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...like I said, I'm a suby nut, and have done everything on my wrx build myself, tuning included. The 93 hatch body style has always been a favorite, so let me know what I should do to make this the fun car I think it can be.

Trey

Well, the block is relatively stock, so until you change the connecting rods I'd say you can run safely about 7-8psi. The d-series is easy to boost, and with that alone and the t3 you'll be looking at around 190hp. Good rev limit with the stock cam, valves and retainers is 6800. You can go higher, but you'd need to tune the fuel maps accordingly and even then, I wouldn't. That t3 should spool like awesome so enjoy that little beast (i'm thinking about buying one). As for tuning, either street tune it if you know what you're doing and have fun with it, or pay the $500 and get it tuned well and enjoy no headaches. So to recap:

7-8psi is safe
rev limit should be under 7k
Compression should be in the 10's, i dont know off by heart

+rep if it helps

That does help, I was actually going to aim for 6 psi and call it a day, so I'll be good there. The 6800 sounds plenty for a street use. I was just curious about the compression ratio, as the car feels pretty strong off boost. I will do a street tune after I get a few hundred miles on the motor.

Thanks man...you may have to fill me in on the rep thing, what do I do to give you the +1

Trey

Have it tuned by a reputable tuner, driving the car on the base map is no good, and 200whp is about the safe cut-off for stock Ds.

No worries, I will tune the car in the near future, still have a few things I'm toying with before it leaves the driveway. Thanks for the heads up though.

others have said it already, but you're going in the right direction. don't destroy the work, be nice to it, have it tuned, and you're right on the money with the ET's. You might even dip into the 13's with good tires on an EG w/ 190whp.

My wrx runs mid 11s on street tires, the last thing I need is another car capable of getting me in trouble on the street! I may use it for autoX or track days, its got a set of new skunk 2 coilovers and springs, and new adjustable tokicos, some fixed back seats, integra front brakes and a nice steering wheel. Basically like a shifter cart with extra seating!

well if you're going to be doing autox wouldnt an NA b16 or gsr be a little better suited for that? Add cams, compression and tuning and call it a day.

Very likely yes, but the car is already done. I bought it like this, so a swap at the moment is out of the depth of my pockets. So I'll just see how I like this set up before making huge changes. Also, I said "might" which are the same things I said I might do when I first bought my wrx...which basically turned into a street driven part time drag car.

Very likely yes, but the car is already done. I bought it like this, so a swap at the moment is out of the depth of my pockets. So I'll just see how I like this set up before making huge changes. Also, I said "might" which are the same things I said I might do when I first bought my wrx...which basically turned into a street driven part time drag car.

Sorry bout that, didnt realize what thread i was in.

I think your car right now could just us a tune and it'd be fun for your purposes. If you want to turn it into an autox car, see above. If you just want something streetable and fun, thats what you've got right now after some time on the dyno.

No problem...yeah, I'm leaning more towards the later...I'll start working on the tune soon, the car has an electrical gremlin with the blinkers/hazards at the moment, after thats fixed I'll start driving it some.

Back