New project in the shop - 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
This showed up at the shop today. I've been talking to the owner the last week or so about doing some work on it so he can track it.1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE, fuel injected 13b and disc brakes all the way around. It's got 120k on the odometer and it's been sitting in a barn since 2010 or thereabouts, turns over but won't fire...common for the rotaries for the most part.

We're going to pull the motor, tear it down and see what's what and do a basic rebuild and some mild street porting. It will go back in the car with an aluminum Koyo radiator, all new hoses and whatnots, new fuel pump/filter/lines/injectors, a smoothed intake/airbox and K&N filter, Racing Beat header and street port exhaust modified to work with the factory O2 sensor and 6-port actuation, clutch and all new hydraulics, and all new brakes including calipers, master cylinder, and stainless lines. He is considering what to do with the suspension, we may be doing full Energy bushings and KYB's with Racing Beat springs if not full coilovers. He's on the fence about painting it or cleaning up what's there, I'm trying to convince him to just replace the front header panel and then let me clean up and paint correct the car, I'm pretty certain it will clean up super nice and not require a full paintjob...

But, at any rate, here she is straight off the flatbed!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 156
Close friend of mine had. GSL SE growing up, had a ton of fun ripping that thing around.
Please for the love of all that is good in this world, keep it rotary

Shit'll buff.

What about that SSR, though?
We painted it in 2018, and have done a good bit of other odds and ends on it. They're not particularly reliable, basically everything but the engine itself has all sorts of issues.

The engine is torn apart, we've got to replace both rotor housings and one of the rotors, but otherwise it's coming along smoothly. Currently waiting on the new rotor housings, which were SUPPOSED to have already been in the country. We'll see :p

Engine teardown:

IMG_3614.jpg

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

Attachments