New to the world of Honda tuning need help please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RobbyD

Hello all! So I recently traded a extra truck I had for a 1997 Honda civic. I've been into cars all my life but have never been into Hondas. I was wondering if you guys could maybe give me some sort of estimate of what kind of power I'm putting down. The previous owner has been less then helpful. He told be it was tuned at 8psi making about 300hp but could go up to around 500hp at 20psi. I am waiting for my 3'' exhaust to come in before I can get it tuned and find out for sure. I have the entire build but I'll just give you the import parts. Here is the build. Thanks in advance for your help!

B16A2
CSS Block bored to 81.5mm (good for 1200+hp)
Honed, decked and hot tanked
Balanced crank
ACL race bearings, main and rod bearings
Eagle rods good for 850hp
Wiseco 9:5:1 turbo pro series pistons
APR main bolts
B16 Type R head
CTR cams, CTR valves and valve springs shaved .10 thousands
81.5mm cometic multilayered head gasket
AEM fuel rail
780cc Delphi high independence injectors
ported Intake & exhaust ports
hondata s300 with boost by gear

turbo
XS power t3/t4 50 trim
3'' downpipe
38mm wastegate
xs boost controller

Attachments

• hondamotor.png
    hondamotor.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 313
  • civic1.JPG
    civic1.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 267
Welcome to Honda swap, I'm sure it's a fun car on the same note without any proof of the engine build I would assume its stock especially on 8 PSI there isn't a good way to tell without putting on a Dino and seeing what it does but at 8 PSI I'm sure you are probably around 275 horsepower and 200 foot pounds of torque

I did get some pictures from when the motor was being built. All the gaskets look new. But I have to assume for the worst lol. If its not forged internals will I blow it up right away at 20psi? How much would I have tear into the motor to determine if they are all forged internals like he said?

Stock internals are shaky on more than 10-12psi if IIRC but someone else can clarify for sure. You should be able to tell at least the rods and maybe sleeves by dropping the oil pan. The quality of the tune will largely determine your power and longevity so I would make that the focus, its hard to estimate power numbers because of all the variables esp with Hondas.

You would have to dig into the engine to figure out what it is but the build pictures can help if it is in fact the same engine, and yes it would completely obliterate at 20 psi f stock bottom and you're pushing it at 10 to 12 Max with a very good tune

Stock internals are shaky on more than 10-12psi if IIRC but someone else can clarify for sure. You should be able to tell at least the rods and maybe sleeves by dropping the oil pan. The quality of the tune will largely determine your power and longevity so I would make that the focus, its hard to estimate power numbers because of all the variables esp with Hondas.
You beat me to it

you'll have to pull the head off to be sure... or maybe you can tell from taking the oil pan off (might be easier) if you can make out the rod caps as a particular brand, but that doesn't get you much line of sight to the pistons...

300 at 8psi on an 'average sized' turbo is pretty optimistic/aggressive for a 1.6.

if he took the time to tune it at 20psi and there's a map for it in the hondata, it probably is built. most people don't get that aggressive without having the internals in place.

IMO, assume nothing, and just go for a nice safe tune. roll up the boost slow. 300 whp is a fun super fast car. 500 is basically unusable on the street

Its not going to be my daily driver so its not going to be driven a lot. If I do tune it up to 20psi to try and make some big numbers is there anything else I need to be aware of like upgrading axles or anything that may break with that much power?

BTW your profile pic looks familiar. I live in Palm Harbor. What area are you from?

@RobbyD I live in "Old Palm Harbor" which is like west of US19 close to the water (and work at Day's Collision off of Alt19). That car is currently a shell and sitting against the fence bordering Alt-19. Focused on my CRX right now which is parked in the back under a shelter. I have a powder blue integra thats slammed on some BBS knockoffs that I'm driving right now, you may see me around.

@RobbyD I live in "Old Palm Harbor" which is like west of US19 close to the water (and work at Day's Collision off of Alt19). That car is currently a shell and sitting against the fence bordering Alt-19. Focused on my CRX right now which is parked in the back under a shelter. I have a powder blue integra thats slammed on some BBS knockoffs that I'm driving right now, you may see me around.

Wow what a small world lol I work in the countryside and live near crystal beach

looks like you two just became BFF's <3

on a more serious note, :)

after certain power ranges, literally everything because a time bomb...
axles with launching, tires are a disposable item,

just because you make more on a dyno doesn't mean your car is faster.

a car than can USE all 350 whp will likely beat a 500hp car that can't put it down, and be safer, and cost less....

Yeah to Brian's point one thing I've learned is build for how you want the car to "feel" over what "numbers" you want to put down.

Personal anecdote my best friend had a 05 RSX Type-S with boltons a tune and a LSD and down at showtime he was pretty much unrivaled by all the local fwd VW/Audi products and any Hondas that weren't seriously built but the car only dyno'd 215whp @8500rpms. On paper thats not a lot of power but a good tune in the right hands can go far.

I sank like 10k into my car in a month to get it painted and put a dohc zc I built in it that mightttttt make 150hp lol... big dyno numbers dont always make the car fun even if its a stock b16 on 8 psi im sureeeeee you are 220-240 ish hp range and fun and streetable

Back