next buy for the condo--- a new bed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ehh, i'm not into the antique shit... and frankly, i'd rather have a new bed.

I'm trying to tell you...it's not all antiques.....

They clean out estate house and other stuff...most of the time...many things are in near new condition...

Pay $500 for a new bed..or $50 for the same bed with a tiny scratch on it. And if nobody bids on it at the end of the night...they say if you take it away...it's yours for free. Furniture is very easy to repair if scratched....fill in the divot with wood filler, sand, and use a wood color crayon to match the color, and revarnish over that area. Done...and use the other $450 to buy something else you will need.....like a half of a mortgage payment.

granted...I would toss the matress...and get a new one...but the frame is what your after anyways.

Furniture to include Renaissance Revival walnut Parlor
set including Loveseat and 2 matched armchairs, R.J. Horner Commode
with towel bar with line inlay, Johnson Handley, Johnson Flat
top desk with barley twist legs and applied decoration, "6"
signed L. Hitchcock chairs with stenciled fruit baskets, Heirloom
Weiman single drawer table with bookmatched figured veneer, wicker
to include 3 Karpen chairs (as-found), plus rockers and assorted
chairs, signed Remington Rand Library Bureau Division Maple 96
drawer file cabinet, signed Library Bureau Sole Makers 4 Drawer
oak file cabinet, Victorian walnut finger carved chairs, Aesthetic
movement ebonized and velvet fern stand, Marble top tables, Mission
Oak 3 door bookcase/curio, Cast Iron Coat tree with mirror, Oak
china cabinet, Empire Tall chest with book matched veneer, Empire
chairs, Painted tall dresser 2/4 drawer Serpentine front and
hairy paw feet, Princess/Hotel dresser, Continental Sideboard
with burled veneer with carved Northwind face pulls, Flat top
mahogany desk with gadrooned border, Early Pine Cupboards, Pine
country bins, Duncan Phyfe style sofa with capped paw feet and
blue upholstery with gold wreath and ribbon motif, Columbia Grafonola
Type E-5 w/ Mahogany cabinet, Victrola w/ Oak cabinet #VV-XIA
Serial #470301, additional oak, maple, mahogany, pine, additional
bedroom, dining room, and occasional furniture to include rockers,
chests, dressers, tables, chairs, etc!

none of that means anything to me....

i dont want old crap-- even it its not hardly used, its not my style. i want the modern look.

You'll never find a bed frame that isn't veneer for less than $800. Won't happen. I'll take the pepsi challenge with anyone on this.

I just found out my $400 sleigh bed is a veneer - and it looks REALLY genuine. But, as it turns out, it's fake too. I bought it from a high end store in Redding, marketted as true Mission.

You can take a ride out to Pennsylvania and pick a real bed up for about $200 if you can drag it back.

granted it's not a bed...but something that can fill a void in the house...and it looks modern to me...

Contemporary%20LiCabinet.JPG

and they might have the rest of the set....

For a second I thought that was a massive fish tank - then I realized it has doors.

Why the hell would Brian need a gigantic glass display cabinet?

i would put that in my fireplace... thats about it.

the style you and the wife like is so not what i'm going for with my place.... lol

Quoted post[/post]]
i would put that in my fireplace... thats about it.

the style you and the wife like is so not what i'm going for with my place.... lol

Sorry...thats not my taste either...but the point I was showing...it's not all antique stuff there....

I've been there...and the table you already bought...was there...for nearly free...no damage....

If your setting up a house or a condo...unless your making a ton of money to afford it...buying shit new will drain the account super fast....when all your bills start coming, and taxes start rolling and then when the car situation gets fixed...you'll have very little money to play with and you'll be back to living paycheck to paycheck...then if something happens...like a slight medical emergancy...or a layoff...that one week of missing work will effect your lifestyle hugely. Believe me...I know.

just get something cheap for now...you can always upgrade later when you find the actual thing you want when it's on sale. And sell of what your replacing and still get something back from it....As in...that glass hutch...you can prolly get for $100, when you find the one to replace it...then offer that huch for $200...and double your spent money to help pay for the new one you really want. There is always someone out there that will buy something for more than it's worth to you. Owning a house...every dollar counts.

And just don't watch one of those DVD's you have, and use that time to at least go look and see what they have up there...you might really be surprized. Boxes of glasses for $1, a chain saw from hell...an old one with a 4 foot blade...for $75, and a almost anything that you can think of will be there...even table saws.

I almost wat to kick myself in my ass for buying car parts when I can put that money for my mortgage and get the prime down...and save a shitload on intrest...as it sits now...I'll have to pay more in intrest for the house than what the house is actually worth....and once I can get it payed off....then I can splurge on the real toys I want. $800 a month on something else besides a house payment can get me a real cool toy....or deck out the house to the way I really want it.

The thing about buying things for resale is that he owns a condo - there isn't much room to store things while he waits for someone to come along and buy them. Plus there's the overhead involved.

Buying for resale is just another way to spend money for potentially no return.

If your buying it to used...it will get used...and buy it used and it will have already have been used but you haven't used it yet, but the damage that you will do to it is about the same damage that the prior owner already did to it...so it's useable.... $500 for something new...and will get used compared to $50 for something that has been used slightly and you can use the rest of the money to put towards something that you need to use it for..... :p And use it...the investment idea is just something that you can ponder about.

I've got Airjockie's old bookshelf in my living room. That's how I roll.

For the record....if I had any pull on decorating my own house....it would be uhmmmm...as cheap as possible...

kitchen table, coffee table, night stands, and anything else...empty cable spools....and the furniture like chairs...plastic patio chairs....

table-detailt.jpg

Except...
I would kinda go overboard on the bedroom..

I would have to redo one of the rooms to a full Japanese style floor with the tatami mats and then real futons...I loved sleeping on them...it was so cozy and comfertable.

japan-tatami.jpg

but when I move back to Japan...I'll have that anyways :p

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
I've got Airjockie's old bookshelf in my living room. That's how I roll.

I thought it was an entertainment system cabinate.... :ph34r:

Watch "Cribs". You'll note that black people have Entertainment Centers, and white people have "Book cases"

Steve
^
|

last time I looked in the mirror...I was still white

Quoted post[/post]]
clayton that roooom is hot!

Thats just a normal room over there.... :wink:

Damn it...I miss it too. I might have to make one now.....but since the wife wont let me build a JDM room in the house...and I have a huge back yard...I might build a small JDM retreat back there....kinda like an inlaw pad...litterally :laugh:

bedroom, private room, and the onsen.....and a small JDM garden....materails would only be a few K's...the rest is just labor and permits....hrmmmmmmmm :ph34r:

Back