Next Step

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

red95solsi

i have a 1995 Del Sol SI with the d16z6 what should i do for my next step on modifying my car right now it has a

Cold Air Intake
Top Speed Race Cat
HP Racing Header
2 1/2 inch exhaust from cat-back
Ractive Muffler (getting new one soon i know ractive sucks)
B&M Fuel Pressure Regulator

what would be the next step if I plan on getting a turbo eventually if i want to get some more power out of it for now until i get the turbo?

i dont want a b series i want to work on the stock engine and see what i can do with it when it blows i will put a b series in it i want to know what i can do with the engine i have

i would upgrade the ECU next. it will allow you to optimize the power from your current setup. you can also get an adjustable cam gear as your next step, but i think the ECU would give you greater results.

hmmm who makes a good cam gear for a SOHC D16Z6 i think i may get that since i am about to need to change the timing belt anyways so mabye kill two birds with one stone how much would a cam gear run me if i got it also who makes a good ecu upgrade for me and how much would it run

Originally posted by red95solsi@Jan 21 2003, 03:58 AM
hmmm who makes a good cam gear for a SOHC D16Z6 i think i may get that since i am about to need to change the timing belt anyways so mabye kill two birds with one stone how much would a cam gear run me if i got it also who makes a good ecu upgrade for me and how much would it run

AEM makes good adjustable cam gears and they costs around $100 or so. Hondata would be a good ECU choice. Dont know what their prices are. they have different levels of ECUs depending on how finely you want to tune your engine. you can check www.hondata.com for more info. you might also look into the venom 400 performance module. it plugs into your system somehow and continuously monitors and adjusts your air/fuel mixture for optimum performance. it can also be turned on and off for fuel economy. you can get more info at www.venom-performance.com. i have seen them selling for around $300+. there are 2 other options that i know of for ECU's...1) Jet performance chips (www.jetchip.com) and 3) you can have your stock ECU reprogrammed by inlinefour in southern california. they charge only $175 for the reprogramming. you send them your ECU along with a list of your mods. (www.inlinefour.com)

Originally posted by red95solsi@Jan 21 2003, 09:12 AM
...see what i can do with it when it blows i will put a b series in it i want to know what i can do with the engine i have...

If you know that a Bseries is in the future anyway,why on earth would you waste the money on a motor you think your going to blow?

side note:punctuation rocks!

Originally posted by red95solsi@Jan 21 2003, 03:12 AM
i dont want a b series i want to work on the stock engine and see what i can do with it when it blows i will put a b series in it i want to know what i can do with the engine i have

dude, i own one. i know what they are/potential. and its not worth the money at all.
3-4 grand later, you might make 160 horse. then, you'll be needed a new tranny. i'm looking for a 3rd soon if i don't get the LS in soon. they suck.
so now with the 3-4 grand, you could easily have a gsr in it, or an ls on its way to being boosted

:werd: those guys have some very good points. but if youre like me, i have a D15 that still runs great and i hate to just toss it, then spending some money on a few performance mods is fine IMO. i wouldnt buy a turbo though. that would easily equal the price of an engine swap, and probably won't even give you the horsepower that a swap would provide.

My whole reply was summed up in the last 4 posts.
Basically, why waste money on something that'll you'll just blow up and replace?

how much do you wanna spend? i'm looking to pour around 10k into my d series after i'm done. is it a waste of money? yeah you could look at it like that but i think my d series is more fun than a b series. Ok so you want cam gears, get unorthodox racing. they run around 250, intake i would just stick with an AEM cold air, ecu- hondata, hardcore motor stuff call up R&D dyno. i have been looking at R&D dyno's website for the past couple months and reading on wht they have to offer, i'm ready now i just need the cash.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 21 2003, 05:15 AM
or an ls on its way to being boosted

here is the build list and prices for everything that i have already bought-

t3/60-1 ball bearing turbo, less than 1K miles 525
fmax manifold 215
tial 35mm wastegate 190
oil feed and return lines, all stainless steel braided with earls fittings - 80
apexi filter 100
boost, oil pressure, a/f gauge 100
SMC+ (fuel tuning) 80
dsm 450 cc injectors 50
silicon couplings, and gaskets and a downpipe flange 50
spearco intercooler 250
mandrel bent 2.5 inch piping for intercooler pipes and a downpipe 60

1700 for the total of all the turbo parts
1500 for the ls motor swap

3200 for an ls/t that will own any other swap

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Jan 21 2003, 12:40 PM
thats going to be by spring break right?

yeah, it will be all installed hopefully by spring break. All the parts are here or on the way now :)

Bottom line is- LS/T is the cheapest, effective route to take. For 3200 i could have gotten a h22, b16, gsr, or i could have saved up and got a type r. The ls/t will own all those motors, easily.

The great thing is- with this turbo i will have all the power i would ever want, with the turn of a knob. Its just a matter if i can build and tune it.

for the cost of just the engine i could get a greddy turbo kit and intercooler and then my car would much faster then if i were to get a swap done and the only thing wrong with the d series transmission is a the differential so i could just find somewhere to get an LSD and then i wouldnt have to worry about the problems swapping being without a car for a while and all that and i dont care if you dont believe me that i can this summer i will go to the track and get a timeslip and proove that i beat the cars i claimed to beat

Originally posted by red95solsi@Jan 21 2003, 10:18 PM
for the cost of just the engine i could get a greddy turbo kit and intercooler and then my car would much faster then if i were to get a swap done and the only thing wrong with the d series transmission is a the differential so i could just find somewhere to get an LSD and then i wouldnt have to worry about the problems swapping being without a car for a while and all that and i dont care if you dont believe me that i can this summer i will go to the track and get a timeslip and proove that i beat the cars i claimed to beat

If youre looking for advice on what to swap or not- i say fuck the d series and spend your money on something worthwhile instead of trying to milk every horsepower out of a z6. My b18b now, stock, is as fast as my d15 was with a turbo on 6 psi.

If youre saying that you are gonna beef up the z6 and try to make it fast, you go get your timeslip and i will get mine. :)

As far as being without a car for a while- your car should be down for at most a couple of days if youre not a fucktrad.

Greddy sohc turbo kit- 1500
Greddy intercooler kit- 800
LSD- 800

theres 3100 you will have dumped into the sohc. Thats only 100 off of what i spent on my ls/t. And who do you think is gonna be faster?

i am not claiming i am going to be able to beat you just show you a time slip the way my car is now that i did beat the gsr civic si and barely lost to the type r to prove you all wrong and also i have heard that a greddy turbo kit is not the greatest so i am going to work on a custom one that should be cheaper and better

hehe, and i just swapped in a z6 into my rex. Hey! stop talkin' crap you bastards!! us poor people with crappy jobs like radioshack can't afford the likes of a b-series!! :angry:

Back