NIN: 1; GWB: 0

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, Lantis, being that I have formerly been of your disposition perhaps i can lend some perspective to this musical debate.
About six years ago, on a whim, I ran a search for a Japanese rock band called "Kuroyume" i had read about in an anime magizine i used to get (Mixx) and happened to find a page about a genre called Visual Kei. The costumes were wierd, and the music was awesome. I too had become fed up with American music and J-rock and Visual became a breath of fresh air. Bands like Malice Mizer, Amadeus, Lamiel, Dir en Grey, Raphael, Vasalla and others painted a picture of a more interesting and talented group of musicians relative to American music. Of course over the course of the past six years I've learned a lot about the Visual and Indies music scene, and I've subsequently lost my enamorment with Japanese music.
I mean look at the Indies scene in particular. Bands form, put on their makeup, play shows, and hope to get signed to a major label. When they do get signed by a larger comapny, their sound will change; same as it is in America. The best example is Dir en Grey. Their last few albums have been made to sell, and subsequently their music has suffered (in my opinion). But comparing visual bands to American mainstream bands is unfair, because visual bands are supposed to have a limited audience. They are not there for massive appeal. Compare a visual band to a more niche American indies band and you will see that originality, talent, and disregard for mainstream ideas will tend to be much more similar.

That isnt to say that I dont still listen to Japanese music, i do very frequently, but there is plenty of good American music that I've found over the years that, for me, is just as entertaining. Indies wa Indies, American or Japanese, theres always neat stuff there. The mainstream music will tend towards the unoriginal and bland wherever you are. Though I do think it is funny that you are criticising Nine Inch Nails when you are listening to the Japanese Rocking equivalent of a boy band.

Of course, I dont think that this is anything to get belligerant about. SolReaver, are you Trent Reznor's buttboy or something? I mean you really take this stuff personally.

Is it just me or does solreaver sound like your typical e-thug?

Originally posted by SolReaver@Jun 2 2005, 03:03 AM
NIN- Trent started a genre by himself.

Whoa! Wait just a second! NIN may have been good, but by NO MEANS did they start Industrial. They are just the tip of what industrial is. Grab some FLA, Xmarks, Pygmy Children, Krupps, etc etc... THAT is industrial.

Nirvana- The posterchild for grunge rock.

I was a Nirv fan... poor Cobain.

Soundgarden- Proved that rock can be mainstream without selling out

:( :( :( RIP dudes.

Tool- enough said.

Cow licking its own asshole, tubgirls in the insert. Wheeeeeeee! But a good band.

RATM- show me one band that is similar in any aspect

Decent.

Weezer- Started out as geek rock, still is producing geek rock, songs get airtime cause they are a radio friendly band.

Can't stand them, will shoot on sight.

311/Sublime- most people never heard of reggae/ska music till these bands emerged

Oh god... ska... if there were ever one reason that I turned off the radio, that's it.

Beck- Enough said

Becktionary.

And thats just talking about popular rock...there are tons of amazing indie bands out there

If you're going to argue with me, at least do so in a reasonable manner. Posting pics of some japanese fuckers in nightgowns isn't gonna work.
[post=506580]Quoted post[/post]​

Modern rock has gone the way of the shitter. It's the same overplayed crap by some new band that thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread. There's a few that outshine the rest, but if all I keep hearing on the radio is crap like Syndrome of a Down, then I'm happy in the UK.

Now, to turn this around, how versed are you in J-rock? Before you go putting down his groups, give 'em a listen. You'll be suprised. I certainly was.

J-rock's not bad, as long as it's not that grating asian screech. I prefer eastern european, myself.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jun 2 2005, 09:17 AM
[post=506641]Quoted post[/post]​

E-Thug, No. I enjoy a civil discussion regarding anything, but when people go and make foolish comments that hold no water in an argument, it needs to be pointed out and corrected.

Like everyone has said before, music is completely opinion. But when Lantis tries to claim that american bands suck because they wear cookie cutter clothign, and Le Psycho Chu or whatever is superior cause they wear sissy nightgowns and ninja veils, is just stupid.

Claiming that there have been no advancements in the rock genre in the last decade or so is also incorrect, as many in this thread have pointed out. The plague of nu-metal that is on the radio non stop is obviously influenced by the likes of early rock and metal bands.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 2 2005, 04:58 AM
I mean really, you can play most Nirvana riffs with one finger, doped on herion, while getting blown by a hooker.

:lmao:

Sorry, no offense to Kurt or anybody on here, cause I'm a big fan and all. But, that was just extremely funny. When you look at it though, he's got a point. :ph34r:

Originally posted by dveit+Jun 2 2005, 02:09 PM-->
@Jun 2 2005, 04:58 AM
I mean really, you can play most Nirvana riffs with one finger, doped on herion, while getting blown by a hooker.

Sorry, no offense to Kurt or anybody on here, cause I'm a big fan and all. But, that was just extremely funny. When you look at it though, he's got a point. :ph34r:
[post=506832]Quoted post[/post]​

No, he's right. Ive been playing guitar for like 6 months and can easily play all nirvana riffs.

The thing is though, do you really have to have complex riffs to make good songs? The answer is no...Kurt was a great songwriter too

Originally posted by SolReaver+Jun 2 2005, 09:42 PM-->
Originally posted by dveit@Jun 2 2005, 02:09 PM
92b16vx
@Jun 2 2005, 04:58 AM

[post=506832]Quoted post[/post]​

No, he's right. Ive been playing guitar for like 6 months and can easily play all nirvana riffs.

The thing is though, do you really have to have complex riffs to make good songs? The answer is no...Kurt was a great songwriter too
[post=506911]Quoted post[/post]​

I 110% agree with that, my problem is with the "more talented" part. Catchy hooks, and melodic riffs are great, they sell albums, but to use it as a measure of ones talent against others that obviously pack the chops to descimate you is another, that's my only real point in that.

Originally posted by SolReaver+Jun 2 2005, 01:45 PM-->
Battle Pope
@Jun 2 2005, 09:17 AM

E-Thug, No. I enjoy a civil discussion regarding anything, but when people go and make foolish comments that hold no water in an argument, it needs to be pointed out and corrected.

[post=506815]Quoted post[/post]​

Im more intelligent than you will ever be, get over it.

way to contribute to the civility of the discussion.

also, is this the point where I point out that your comment about intelligence has no factual basis and will hold no water in this discussion?

zing!

Originally posted by Guy+Jun 2 2005, 06:03 PM-->
Originally posted by SolReaver@Jun 2 2005, 01:45 PM
Battle Pope
@Jun 2 2005, 09:17 AM

[post=506815]Quoted post[/post]​

Im more intelligent than you will ever be, get over it.

way to contribute to the civility of the discussion.

also, is this the point where I point out that your comment about intelligence has no factual basis and will hold no water in this discussion?

zing!
[post=506981]Quoted post[/post]​

That was a joke, obviously.

Back