Nissan has to re-learn idle? I broke my Xterra.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
My poor truck has lived a hard life, and at 115k miles I noticed oil leaking from both valve covers. Replacing the gaskets requires removal of the intake manifold... between that and the AC lines and fuel line in the way, it was was a real pita. While I had the plenum off, I changed the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body, which was pretty dirty. Other than a window regulator, the AC blower resistor, and basic service items this is the first thing that ive had to work on in this truck.

So I got the job done, no big deal, idle was smoother and slightly higher, seemed to be running great... but, after about 15 miles the SES light came on. Code p0507 idle too high. Found out that if you even look at the throttle body wrong, unplug it, touch it, whatever, it will have to relearn the idle. And that this is common to many nissans. Evidently the obnoxious sequence to reset it is difficult to get right. Im going to try it tomorrow. wish me luck!

heres a couple pics from when I had it apart

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, that sucks.

Yep, relearning idle and throttle position on a Nissan is a pain in the dick, even if you have a scantool to do it with - even if you're working at the dealer and using a Consult. Good luck with that :)

Its a 2006 S 4x4. Im going to attempt the relearn this afternoon. Its only idling slightly high, between like 8-900. Hopefully it will take, and things go back to normal, i cant stand seeing that light on the dash.

1. Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning

DESCRIPTION
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.

OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

--------------------------------------

2.Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

DESCRIPTION
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.

OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

----------------------------------------------------

3. Idle Air Volume Learning

DESCRIPTION
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
- Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
- Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

PREPARATION
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.

Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

- Battery voltage: More than 12.9 V (At idle)
- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100 degrees C (158 - 212 degrees F)
- PNP switch: ON
- Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is started the headlamp will not be illuminated.

- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
- Vehicle speed: Stopped
- Transmission: Warmed-up
- A/T models
- With CONSULT-II: Drive vehicle until "ATF TEMP SE 1" in "DATA MONITOR" mode of "A/T" system indicates less than 0.9 V.
- Without CONSULT-II: Drive vehicle for 10 minutes.

- M/T models: Driver vehicle for 10 minutes.

NOTE:
- It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
- It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit has a malfunction.

1. Perform EC-687, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning". See: Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor > Programming and Relearning > Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
2. Perform EC-687, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning". See: Computers and Control Systems > Programming and Relearning > Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, then turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.

10. Start engine and let it idle.

brand

Zoom and Print Options

imagesWLinks

11. Wait 20 seconds.

brand

Zoom and Print Options

imagesWLinks

12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
13. If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, Idle Air Volume Learning will not be carried out successfully. In this case, find the cause of the incident by referring to the DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE
If idle air volume learning cannot be performed successfully, proceed as shown:

1. Check that throttle valve is fully closed.
2. Check PCV valve operation.
3. Check that downstream of throttle valve is free from air leakage.
4. When the above three items check out OK, engine component parts and their installation condition are questionable. Check and eliminate the cause of the incident.
It is useful to perform EC-745, "TROUBLE DIAGNOSIS - SPECIFICATION VALUE". See: Computers and Control Systems > Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes > Specification (SP) Value

5. If any of the following conditions occur after the engine has started, eliminate the cause of the incident and perform Idle Air Volume Learning all over again:
- Engine stalls.
- Erroneous idle.

I did it! It only took 6 attempts before I got it to work lol. I went through the exact procedure you listed (or should I say three procedures), I found them on an Xterra forum. Timing is very critical, I used a stopwatch. And on the 5th attempt I got the IAVL to work, and the idle got weird for a few seconds then leveled off right about where it had been 850ish. At this point I was worried because it seemed that it had tried to relearn but it didn't work quite right... but sure enough I did the procedure one more time and it worked perfectly. Took the truck for a drive afterwards, and everything is normal. idle is steady at about 650-700 and it doesn't randomly surge when its in gear anymore.

Thanks for the help though civicious!

I guess I still have to clear the code though? A friend at work has a obd2 scanner that ill use tomorrow if it doesn't go away on its own before then.

Yep. You'll still need to clear the code.

Back when I worked at Nissan a common trick was to unplug one of the coils to get the idle to drop so that it would go into 'learn' mode, heh. That only works with a Consult though

Its a 2006 S 4x4. Im going to attempt the relearn this afternoon. Its only idling slightly high, between like 8-900. Hopefully it will take, and things go back to normal, i cant stand seeing that light on the dash.
Did you install a separate trans cooler? The 2nd gens had a nice issue with the shitty combo radiator. I'd hate to see you get it running only to destroy the transmission.

I did the trans bypass a while back. Good lookin out!

No problem. The 1st gen I had actually had the trans cooler fail. It was just slipping at that point, but I had to scrap it. Community it was in said it had to go. I got the call on the way upstate for a week. Oh well, bought it for $450, sold it to the scrap for $600, haha. Still wish I was able to keep it though.

Yep. You'll still need to clear the code.

Back when I worked at Nissan a common trick was to unplug one of the coils to get the idle to drop so that it would go into 'learn' mode, heh. That only works with a Consult though

After installing uprev in my 350Z, we had an issue getting the idle to settle down, pulling a coil did the trick.

4.jpg

socks FTW

Back