noninterference engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

necessaryevil

ok my friend has a '89 ls with the dohc d16a1 that he is selling, the only thing wrong with it is the timing belt broke doing about 75mph on the freeway, and im wondering if the d16a1 is a noninterference engine and i can just throw a new belt on and be done.

Yes it is an interference engine. The engine is probably toast, but I've heard of interference engines surviving timing belt failures.

get the timing right put the belt on and start it, if it explodes then you need a new...well pretty much everything, but if it's fine then you're good.

you might as well play it on the safe side and just pull the head, no reason for putting money into something that's not worth it

i just dont want to pay for the thing without knowing, someone said i could do a "leak down" test before buying i just have to turn everything by hand

A leak down test would indicate if it has bent valves, but you'd need to put a timing belt on it to do a leakdown test. They have fiber optic cameras that can be fed down the spark plug hole, that would be the only way to tell without pulling the head or installing a timing belt.

most likely didn survive..you could alays buy i pull the head and replace it or the valves..if it didnt chunk up he pistons and or the actual head

Back