obd1-obd2 harness question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

positivelydropped11

whats up im swapping a 2000 b16 into a eg 95 coupe...now first off the ecu harness is still whole can i just run the harness to the interior and not use the ecu wiring there and second.....on the drivers side how can i match the wiring from the b16 to the coupe....thanks in advance and if you can answer soon cuase my car wont run without me knowing this

You can convert your car to OBD IIb by using the Si's harness, but it would be way more a pain in the ass than it is worth. Easiest thing to do wouold be to get a OBD II Integra harness, and use that, then run the vtec wires,a nd knock.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 18 2005, 02:20 AM
You can convert your car to OBD IIb by using the Si's harness, but it would be way more a pain in the ass than it is worth. Easiest thing to do wouold be to get a OBD II Integra harness, and use that, then run the vtec wires,a nd knock.
[post=527840]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah from what I've heard, it is damn near impossible to use that Si harness because it is one piece and not two like the EG civic and Integra. It would be a lot easier to use an OBD2 integra harness, but It is possible to use your stock engine harness if you change over a couple of plugs from the JDM harness (if your swap came with the harness). My brother-in-law and I put an ITR engine into my 92 hatch, and because I couldn't find a cheap used Integra harness, and I didn't want to pay the dealer over $700 for a new one, we used my stock civic harness. My bro did an identical swap as the one you are doing (he has a 94 hatch with the engine from his wrecked '00 si), and he wire his by himself, so I trusted he could do it well. But if you aren't that good at wiring, and soldering connections, It would probably be more trouble than it is worth. You have to cut the OBD2 plugs off the JDM harness, and then make a solid (use a soldering gun not a connector clip) connection onto the wires from the Civic harness. You have to change the injector plugs for sure, I think the starter and alternator, and also the distributor plugs. If you are good at wiring and making good connections, I would say for sure that you can save quite a bit of money over buying a new harness. But for straight ease just get an Integra harness. I think it is 92b16vx who has a good write up of how to wire in the VTEC on this site.

Originally posted by BigBoulda+Jul 26 2005, 11:51 AM-->
@Jul 18 2005, 02:20 AM
[post=527840]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah from what I've heard, it is damn near impossible to use that Si harness because it is one piece and not two like the EG civic and Integra. It would be a lot easier to use an OBD2 integra harness, but It is possible to use your stock engine harness if you change over a couple of plugs from the JDM harness (if your swap came with the harness). My brother-in-law and I put an ITR engine into my 92 hatch, and because I couldn't find a cheap used Integra harness, and I didn't want to pay the dealer over $700 for a new one, we used my stock civic harness. My bro did an identical swap as the one you are doing (he has a 94 hatch with the engine from his wrecked '00 si), and he wire his by himself, so I trusted he could do it well. But if you aren't that good at wiring, and soldering connections, It would probably be more trouble than it is worth. You have to cut the OBD2 plugs off the JDM harness, and then make a solid (use a soldering gun not a connector clip) connection onto the wires from the Civic harness. You have to change the injector plugs for sure, I think the starter and alternator, and also the distributor plugs. If you are good at wiring and making good connections, I would say for sure that you can save quite a bit of money over buying a new harness. But for straight ease just get an Integra harness. I think it is 92b16vx who has a good write up of how to wire in the VTEC on this site.
[post=531407]Quoted post[/post]​

ok,
1. If i find and use the integra (an obd2b one) harness, everything will connect right up? would i still need a adaptor harness to connect the 99-00 si ecu? will the integra harness connect in the same place in the engine bay as the oem eg harness?

2. if i use the stock eg harness, i can swap the alternator, injector, and distributor plugs from the 99-00 harness? and would i still need the adaptor harness to connect the 99-00 ecu?

Originally posted by clevisR6@Aug 7 2005, 06:48 PM
ok,
1. If i find and use the integra (an obd2b one) harness, everything will connect right up? would i still need a adaptor harness to connect the 99-00 si ecu? will the integra harness connect in the same place in the engine bay as the oem eg harness?

2. if i use the stock eg harness, i can swap the alternator, injector, and distributor plugs from the 99-00 harness? and would i still need the adaptor harness to connect the 99-00 ecu?
[post=536937]Quoted post[/post]​

1) Most everything, there may be a wire or two out of place, but nothing like trying to put an OBD IIb Civic Si harness in you car.

Yes, you will need a converiosn harness to run an OBD IIb ECU in your car. IMO, you'd be better off running either a P30, or a chipped P28 instead though.

2) You can, it all depends on how much work and rewiring you feel like you can do. If you decide to go the hybrid wire harness route, make SURE, you have BOTH manual handy to you can route wires correctly. It isn't hard, but it can be tedious.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Aug 7 2005, 12:41 PM-->
@Aug 7 2005, 06:48 PM
ok,
1. If i find and use the integra (an obd2b one) harness, everything will connect right up?  would i still need a adaptor harness to connect the 99-00 si ecu?  will the integra harness connect in the same place in the engine bay as the oem eg harness?

2. if i use the stock eg harness, i can swap the alternator, injector, and distributor plugs from the 99-00 harness?  and would i still need the adaptor harness to connect the 99-00 ecu?
[post=536937]Quoted post[/post]​

1) Most everything, there may be a wire or two out of place, but nothing like trying to put an OBD IIb Civic Si harness in you car.

Yes, you will need a converiosn harness to run an OBD IIb ECU in your car. IMO, you'd be better off running either a P30, or a chipped P28 instead though.

2) You can, it all depends on how much work and rewiring you feel like you can do. If you decide to go the hybrid wire harness route, make SURE, you have BOTH manual handy to you can route wires correctly. It isn't hard, but it can be tedious.
[post=536958]Quoted post[/post]​

if i use a p30 or p28 (obd1 i think), would i use the gsr obd2 harness or the eg harness? then i would just ignore whatever sensors the obd1 doesn't use?

OBD IIb motor + 00 Integra vtec harness = plugs in with minimal wiring.
OBD I car + OBD IIb motor + OBD I ECU = runs motor just fine.

OBD I harness + OBD IIb motor = better have a couple manuals and some time, but doable.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 7 2005, 11:25 PM
[post=537224]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks, looks like this is the easiest. so i will need to procure a 00 teg vtec harness and an obd1 ecu? and there is no need to get any adaptor harness using this method?

i'm getting the engine from a friend for cheap, so thats why its the 00-99 si swap. the engine is babied and i'll have all the papers...

though i wonder if i should just trade for an obd1 gsr swap....

Originally posted by clevisR6+Aug 8 2005, 07:55 AM-->
@Aug 7 2005, 11:25 PM
[post=537224]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks, looks like this is the easiest. so i will need to procure a 00 teg vtec harness and an obd1 ecu? and there is no need to get any adaptor harness using this method?

i'm getting the engine from a friend for cheap, so thats why its the 00-99 si swap. the engine is babied and i'll have all the papers...

though i wonder if i should just trade for an obd1 gsr swap....
[post=537291]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, if you can get the Integra harness for reasonably cheap, it would be well worth it. In my case, I just wasn't able to find a cheap harness in time to do the swap, so I just used my stock harness, and scavenged the OBD2 plugs off the donor cars harness, and it runs just fine. I would not trade the very new SI engine for a much older (1995 is the newest you will be able to get an OBD1 GSR) Integra Motor. The power difference will be negligable, and you will spend more in the long run on maintaining the old GSR than you would fixing up the B16 to make as much power as the GSR (which isn't that hard to do). Especially if you know where the B16 came from and how it was maintained, because no matter what anyone tells you, there is no way to really know the condition of a used motor that is pulled out of the car long before it ever gets to you. Also if you go with the GSR, you will have to mess with the secondary intake butterflies. If you go with the P30 (you can run this stock since that is the ECU for that motor), or the chipped P28, you will probably be able to sell your OBD2 Si ecu on ebay for what the OBD1 ecu cost you, so it will save you money over buying a OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness. And then if you go crazy on the mods, you will be able to tune the OBD1 ecu to get all of the power from your upgrades. You can even have your stock EG ECU converted to VTEC and chipped, which is probably cheaper than buying a P28/P30. Or you can sell that one too.

Originally posted by BigBoulda@Aug 8 2005, 10:40 AM
Yeah, if you can get the Integra harness for reasonably cheap, it would be well worth it. In my case, I just wasn't able to find a cheap harness in time to do the swap, so I just used my stock harness, and scavenged the OBD2 plugs off the donor cars harness, and it runs just fine. I would not trade the very new SI engine for a much older (1995 is the newest you will be able to get an OBD1 GSR) Integra Motor. The power difference will be negligable, and you will spend more in the long run on maintaining the old GSR than you would fixing up the B16 to make as much power as the GSR (which isn't that hard to do). Especially if you know where the B16 came from and how it was maintained, because no matter what anyone tells you, there is no way to really know the condition of a used motor that is pulled out of the car long before it ever gets to you. Also if you go with the GSR, you will have to mess with the secondary intake butterflies. If you go with the P30 (you can run this stock since that is the ECU for that motor), or the chipped P28, you will probably be able to sell your OBD2 Si ecu on ebay for what the OBD1 ecu cost you, so it will save you money over buying a OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness. And then if you go crazy on the mods, you will be able to tune the OBD1 ecu to get all of the power from your upgrades. You can even have your stock EG ECU converted to VTEC and chipped, which is probably cheaper than buying a P28/P30. Or you can sell that one too.
[post=537362]Quoted post[/post]​

it looks like either way i need an obd IIb harness though. i'm not sure if he will be keeping his si harness yet. he's going with a teg type r engine. i think he may end up needing his harness since its a 1 piece. but i guess he would just give me the harness from the teg if that were the case and i would be cool.

but maybe i should keep my eye out for an obd IIb gsr harness...

would any obd IIb harness work for harvesting plugs? (if i can't find a gsr harness) all i need to do is clip and solder the new injector plugs and alternator? what else? would this make it easy for wiring up the dizzy for obd1 harness?: http://www.rywire.com/dizadapters.shtml

this dude on another forum is telling me that obd1 connectors and obd2b connectors (injectors, alternator, etc) are the same???? :blink: what it is?

We don't care what nimrods on other forums say.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 9 2005, 01:04 PM
We don't care what nimrods on other forums say.
[post=537931]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, my bad.....

the guy was a jabroni though....

Back