OBDI to OBDII motor swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

folicor

Background: I own a 99 SI w/b16a2 with a JRSC. I recently bought a 93 cx hatch with a jdm b16 and hydro tranny coversion.

What I'm trying to do: swap the motor from my 99 SI to the 93 hatch and the hatch motor to the 99. Why you may ask. Because my 99 motor is freshly rebuilt, and the motor that's in the hatch has slightly (by about 15-20 points) low compression in one cylinder. The 99 will become my DD. The hatch will be my auto-x car.

Now I know I will have to have both motors pulled at the same time to swap parts from each of them. I just want to double check to see if I'm leaving anything out that I may run into.

Things to be swapped to keep the OBD shit straight: Crank angle sensor on the oil pump. Crank pullies (no PS on the hatch) with sensor rings/washers. Coil pickup w/wiring in the distributors.

Things I am unsure of: knock sensor, thermostat housing, and sensors in the tranny. Also wonder if the fuel rail will make a difference, and/or if I'll have problems with the throttle cables.

Any info is greatly appreciated, I'm sure I'll figure it out anyway, however if I'm leaving something out, I'm sure ur replies will save me a whole hell of a lot of time.

Is the JRSC going with the 99 motor to the hatch? If not, pull both motors, take them down to long blocks, and then install appropriate Intake manifolds/headers on to the motors. If you have the original Si mani that is.

Also, is the 5th gens B16A OBD 0 converted? Just asking because a lot of times having a cable clutch (you said converted to hydraulic) would indicate such. Reason I ask is because if it is, than yes, the thermostat housing is different, but how that would effect the swap, I am not sure. I'm not sure if the diameters are the same with just a different orientation, or if they are same.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 26 2005, 02:02 AM
Is the JRSC going with the 99 motor to the hatch? If not, pull both motors, take them down to long blocks, and then install appropriate Intake manifolds/headers on to the motors. If you have the original Si mani that is.
[post=503791]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, the JRSC is going with the 99 motor into the hatch.

I do plan on using the stock 99 manifold on the motor that will then be in my 99.

I just don't want to miss any sensors that may need to get swapped over.

side note: I just pulled apart the hatch tranny tonight.....good god what a mess. the whole 3rd gear assembly is fucked and I see plainly why. Who ever had the tranny before, broke the 3rd gear shift fork and had a piece of it fabbed and welded into place. Here's the strange part to me.....the synchro looks fine, but the synchro sleeve and third gear teeth are fucked.

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@May 26 2005, 10:56 AM
If you swap the D motor into the si it wont pass emmisions to outdated.Hope you know that.
[post=503818]Quoted post[/post]​

Background: I own a 99 SI w/b16a2 with a JRSC. I recently bought a 93 cx hatch with a jdm b16 and hydro tranny coversion.

Not that it matters, since the motor is older anyway, D or B.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+May 26 2005, 05:11 AM-->
96CIVICLS
@May 26 2005, 10:56 AM
If you swap the D motor into the si it wont pass emmisions to outdated.Hope you know that.
[post=503818]Quoted post[/post]​

Not that it matters, since the motor is older anyway, D or B.
[post=503819]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, but you don't think with all the swapped sensors and using my OBDII ecu it won't pass emmisions. We don't have smog here, all it is, is a diagnostics check through the OBDII port to see if it's throwing any codes. Which it shouldn't providing I have all the sensors needed.

Back