** Official Photographers picture thread ** 56k?? hahaha.. goodluck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's an abandoned housing development. It's in Cincinnati just North of Over The Rhine. it's in a very busy part of town, right next to a hospital but is surprisingly deserted.

I have more info and pictures on my blog Up Here

In a nutshell though, there's 5 sets of row houses and hotel. Was upscale but eventually fell into miserable condition. It was renovated in the 70s and was heralded as an excellent case of urban renewal, but it took another downturn and eventually became a nexus of drug and violent crimes until everyone was evicted and the place was sealed up around 1990. It's now a Historic place and is being restored and made into Condos.

The place is simply badass.

damn, i wish there were some places around here like that.
i would love to be able to go photograph some shit like that.

Cincinnati's got some cool stuff. There's about 2.5 miles of unfinished subway tunnels that were abandoned in the 1920s because it went way over budget. They were almost finished too. I'm going there tonight to try to get in. If either of you come to cincinnati I'll make sure to point you in the right direction to see this neighborhood.

Just jog up to Ohio. That is the story of pretty much every major city there. Cleveland is very similar. A lot of rust and quirky old neighborhoods...

Thanks! :) It is a nice camera, I really dig it.

The 50 1.4 is pretty soft at that high, I've only been using it for a few weeks now. You're right, I should have raised the F in that shot. I was pretty close to her in that shot. I need to spend more time with this lens. I do like the bokeh effect, but you're right it shows too much on the face.

Regardless the 50 1.4 is an excellent lens, especially for the price. Even a better deal is probably the 50 1.8, which can be had used for like $50.

normal price I believe is $99 now.

1.jpg

All the pictures I just posted of Linh were shot with a 50mm 1.4, for the most part I kept it around 3.2

B16 the cat looks good but the baby clearly didn't have light.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX48
Night Scene Setting
Photos un-edited (idk how to do this)

Elizabeth & Spring st in Soho

4198068240_26d83eecb6_b.jpg

4197316451_991783eb5c.jpg

4197317761_ce4b867ea8.jpg

+1 for tripod, they do wonders, all of the pictures just don't look right, clearly white balance is off, main issue is I have no idea what I'm looking at. what do you want the viewer to focus on? there's way too much going on and everything is really soft/out of focus.

the price of a 50 1.8 is 99 new with uv filter.
used you can grab them for between 50 and 75.
depends upon how hard up the seller is for cash.

and i can vouch for the oddness of ohio.
i got stuck in the garfield heights area outside of cleveland overnight, to pick up a subaru for work.
that, has got to be one of the oddest fucking towns i have ever been in.
there was no aspect of the town that wasnt creepy in some way.
roads didnt go where they should have, and people were weird as fuck .

the price of a 50 1.8 is 99 new with uv filter.
used you can grab them for between 50 and 75.
depends upon how hard up the seller is for cash.

and i can vouch for the oddness of ohio.
i got stuck in the garfield heights area outside of cleveland overnight, to pick up a subaru for work.
that, has got to be one of the oddest fucking towns i have ever been in.
there was no aspect of the town that wasnt creepy in some way.
roads didnt go where they should have, and people were weird as fuck .

Word to the wise, stay away from the 1.8s if used, 1.4 not bad, but the 1.8s are so cheap and tend to break open, super glue is a common fix for them, if you do try and buy a used one, look for signs of super glue.

Word to the wise, stay away from the 1.8s if used, 1.4 not bad, but the 1.8s are so cheap and tend to break open, super glue is a common fix for them, if you do try and buy a used one, look for signs of super glue.

good tip, never even heard that before.
i bought mine new. never had a problem out of it and i have never found a need to justify the extra cost of a 1.4

also, for anybody that is looking to buy some gear, check out fredmiranda.com
the buy and sell section is awesome and usually has some extremely good deals.
as well as a fedback system so it adds a little confidence to the buying part.

B16 the cat looks good but the baby clearly didn't have light.
Word, the baby did not have enough light. The lighting in that room is really bad. I had to do a lot of adjustment to white balance as well.

Ya, I was talking about used price on the 50. Thanks for the heads up, I was considering buying a used one.

the 50mm 1.8 is a good lens however if you're like me and plan on using the lens for 20-30 years, I can't really see the point in spending 50-100 bucks only to one day want to replace it with a higher quality build lens. plus the 1.4 in a lot of reviews is viewed not much different, in other reviews with picky people it is reviewed as a better lens all around.

For basic users 1.8 = total win, just don't ever drop it!

Jeffie,
which camera body are you using?

Jeffie,
which camera body are you using?

Xsi

didn't want to spend too much if it was something I would do for a few weeks and get bored with it. That wasn't the case so now I wish I got a full frame camera. ohwell.

my lens > > > > body and that's all that really matters.

Anyone want an Xsi =)

Back