oil squirters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

typesiracing

just got the ls crank in the gsr block.....plastiguaged the bearings and lubricated everthing......turns fine till the crank hits the #4 oil squirter :angry: ..... anybody experience this yet? or know how i can fix it.....i tried to bend the squirter out of the way it wasn't enough. thanks

i know there are people out there with this setup because i have spoken with them before.....please let me know how to do it.....thanks again.

I beleive that when you put an ls crank in a gsr block you cannot run oil squirters anymore, but I may be wrong, its late.

you may be right but i do believe i remember somebody telling me that they have that setup with oil squirters.......lets see what else comes up

Originally posted by 97CTR@Mar 14 2004, 04:11 AM
I beleive that when you put an ls crank in a gsr block you cannot run oil squirters anymore, but I may be wrong, its late.

:withstupid: Unless you want to drop some serious cash its not worth it. Another option could be to get your pistons coated by these guys http://www.hpcoatings.com/

well if i have to remove them i imagine that i have to plug the holes probably so i don't hinder the oil pressure....lemme know what you've heard, think or any how to's...thanks

yes you should plug the holes if you remove the oil squirters

yes, the clearance is already damn close with gsr crank in a gsr. in my ITR block i tried to put a b16 oil squirter in to replace a broken one and it hit the crank. it was hard to even tell the difference between the b16 and gsr oil squirter. and yes, if you remove the squirters you must plug the holes.

how do you recommend plugging the holes?

and would it be stupid to leave the other three that don't make contact in?
i would assume if i take one out i take them all out?

I dont know what the hole looks like but could you tap it then use like and alen screw, the kind with no head like for plugging the oil hole on the head when you do LS/Vtec.

and would it be stupid to leave the other three that don't make contact in?
i would assume if i take one out i take them all out? thanks

It doesn't make much sense that only one squirter hits. I'd be inclined to think that something else is wrong.

I second or third the hole plugging motion (not in the Jenna Jameson kind of way, but in the....never mind :p ). The squirters contain a ball and spring valve which blocks oil flow on idle/low oil pressure situations to prevent oil loss at the crank journals. If left open oil pressure will drop considerably on idle.

i know what you mean because i had to check the ball stop thing to make sure it was working before i reinstalled them......but as far as one only hitting.....do you think maybe they are different and i have to try that one in another cylinder or should they all be making contact and i have no hope at all?

you have to take them out and plug the holes. An allen type cap screw works good. If you are running forged pistons you do not need them anyway. You will also have better oil pressure with them plugged, which is a bonus.

It is possible that the machining in the block is not 100% accurate and the old crank stroke had enough clearence that it was a non issue. I have seen stranger things. It's too bad because the oil squirters are one the features that contribute to that block making a very strong engine.

i'm not running forged pistons but the funny thing is....today i went to show someone of the clearance issues and the crank cleared.....i assume the crank bent the one squirter into position and the rest clear.....however i'm hesitant to throw the motor together....do you think it will be an issue or maybe it has solved my problem....thanks

Well, if you can keep the squirters, then do it. As long as everything is tight it should be fine. Like I said, the machining of the supply holes may not have been accurate.

Install an oil pressure guage on the head (there is an oil pressure check fitting by the VTEC) when you install the engine. This will give you some heads up if the crank does knock the squirter out.

Back