Open Lapping/Track - '93 del Sol Si (JDM GSR, ITR S80 5-speed)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Curlybandit

Hey everyone.

I took my car out to the track for the first time yesterday (April 29th) with the new motor and transmission set up. My previous set up was a fully built NA d16z6 that made 158whp and 116wtrq with a custom ratio and Quaife LSD S40B000 5-speed. Unfortunately an exhaust valve broke at the neck when I was at the track and destroyed the motor. I recently swapped an OBD1 JDM GSR and Integra Type-R S80 5-speed. It made 198whp and 138wtrq when I had it dyno tuned earlier this month. I was feeling it out for most of the day at the track. I didn't push it as hard as would have liked just because i wasn't sure about the motor and transmission reliability. Fortunately the motor ran beautifully. The transmission has the typical 3rd gear grind. I plan on getting the synchros replaced in the next year.

I ran most of the day in the "advanced" group thanks primarily to having driven this track a few times. I did well in the corners but just couldn't stay ahead of the much more powerful cars - Porsches, Corvette, Nismo 370Z, etc. I ran the last series of laps with the "intermediate/novice" group since it was with vehicles that were comparable in power and capability.

Here's a list of the modifications:

Engine:
- OBD1 JDM GSR (1.8L DOHC VTEC)
- Integra Type-R intake camshaft
- Skunk2 Pro-Series intake manifold
- 70mm throttle body
- Skunk2 air filter with internal velocity stack
- generic 70mm short-ram intake piping
- 75A poly Innovative Mounts motor mounts
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Amsoil Signature Series 5W30 full synthetic oil

Transmission:
- Integra Type-R S80 LSD 5-speed (no idea if it's first gen or second)
- Exedy OEM clutch
- Competition Clutch 12.3lbs flywheel
- GM Synchromesh transmission fluid

Exhaust:
- GReddy 4-2-1 header
- 2.5" madrel bent exhaust
- 2x Vibrant Ultra Quite resonator (2.5") as resonator and muffler

Suspension:
- Skunk2 Pro-S V2 coil-overs: 10K front, 8K rear springs
- Buddy Club extended ball joints
- Skunk2 Pro-Series camber adjusters
- Skunk2 Black Series lower control arms with red polyurethane bushings
- Black BWR sub-frame brace
- BEAKS 22mm Integra Type-R sway bar
- unknown manufacturer upper strut bar

Rims/Tires (track):
- 15" bronze Rota Circuit 10
- BF Goodrich Rival S 205/50/15 front and back

Brakes:
- DC2 front knuckles/spindles
- Re-drilled Brembo blank 11.1" Prelude SR-V rotors
- Integra Type-R calipers
- Hawk HP+ pads front
- Hawk HPS rear
- Russell braided stainless-steel brake lines
- 1" Integra Type-R master cylinder and booster

And here are some videos!

Chasing a Subaru STI and Porsche GT4, passed by a Porsche GT3 RS (external GoPro)

Chasing an Audi RS3 (external GoPro)

Chasing a BMW 240, passing a WRX and FRS (external GoPro)

Chasing a race-prepared Hyundai Genesis Couple 2.0L Turbo (external GoPro)

Chasing a BMW 240 - runs off track and gets some air! (external GoPro)

Chasing a Honda S2000 (internal on iPhone 4 with Track Addict app) - great audio of the engine from inside the car
https://youtu.be/67sr7XAqGAo

There are more videos on my YouTube channel.

Thanks!

Welcome to Hondaswap ! kick ass setup man and im sure its a fun car , post up some pics of the ride man and look forward to what you bring to the community

Nice to see another well sorted track person instead of the YOJDM help me threads of late haha welcome to the club!
lol my shit doesnt run what do I do ? can I put a jdm ITR head on my d15 block I want to make 300whp streetable but I dont want to swap blocks or transmissions , asking for a friend thats helping me do the build

Welcome to Hondaswap ! kick ass setup man and im sure its a fun car , post up some pics of the ride man and look forward to what you bring to the community

Thank you! I joined last year when I was in the process of getting the swap together! I got some excellent feedback from other members.

Nice to see another well sorted track person instead of the YOJDM help me threads of late haha welcome to the club!

Thanks! It's taken quite a few years, a lot of research and quite a bit of trial and error to get the vehicle where it is now. That's why forums like this are invaluable.

lol my shit doesnt run what do I do ? can I put a jdm ITR head on my d15 block I want to make 300whp streetable but I dont want to swap blocks or transmissions , asking for a friend thats helping me do the build

Lol!! Seen far too much of this...

it's certainly not a fast car. even with the reflash. but it's pretty fun to drive and handles well.

i've passed gennys (wtf was that moron doing at 1:35?) in my veloster turbo lol. oh and fiestas :)

mosport looks really nice for beginners. have you seen videos of palmer? i've been there 5 times now. all 5 days... pouring rain.

i've passed gennys (wtf was that moron doing at 1:35?) in my veloster turbo lol. oh and fiestas :)

mosport looks really nice for beginners. have you seen videos of palmer? i've been there 5 times now. all 5 days... pouring rain.

Mosport (technically the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) has a few tracks. That one is the Driver Development Track (DDT). As you can see it's a more technical track which is great for smaller nimble cars like mine. You can actually get some use out of the gears unlike some of the powerful cars that really only need to keep it in one gear - unless of course they are double-clutch automatics but with that you're not really "driving" in my opinion....

The "big" track is the Grand Prix track. It used to be the F1 track in Canada before that was moved to Montreal. It's actually one of the fastest tracks in the world. Many race events are held on that track. I've driven it a couple of times. The first time was in my bone-stock 1996 Honda Civic Si (EX coupe in the US). The second was with my del Sol. It had the suspension build but a stock d16z6 engine. The back straight is a 230 foot incline that's around 2/3 of a mile long. The track has incredible elevation changes with blind corners. It's an exhilarating track to run. I haven't seen videos of Palmer. I'll look into that ASAP.

1:35? Do you mean the guy in the BMW 240? I think he lost control because he was feeling pressured from behind by a "slower" little Honda! Hahaha! All kidding aside, I hope he didn't mess up his car :/

As requested, here are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    481.1 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    689.7 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    638.6 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    900.6 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_3060.JPG
    IMG_3060.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_5744.JPG
    IMG_5744.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_6060.JPG
    IMG_6060.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 690
Nice! Don't see many Del Sol's at the track. I haven't been in years. Miss it and my del slo.

I haven't been in years. Miss it

tsk tsk. get involved! even do a flagging day :) todays track folks need people to flag events to keep costs low. although i'm WELL AWARE that track days over there are much cheaper than in my area :(

Back