painting my valve cover..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

it was the 500 degree Universal Gold.. i think it came out really nice.. i didnt do any wetsanding .. i didnt let the black dry completely so the gold would stick to that..

A way to do the contrast on the letters that would have saved you a lot of time:
Paint the whole thing gold, let it dry completely, then tape off the area around the letters in a simple square:
_______
| DOHC |

Then fill that area with pancake syrup so that everything is covered exept the top of the raised letters (It's important to keep the flat face of the letters level). Then spray the syrupy area with your black paint, let it dry completely, then run it under hot water to rinse off the syrup. Done and done.

A way to do the contrast on the letters that would have saved you a lot of time:
Paint the whole thing gold, let it dry completely, then tape off the area around the letters in a simple square:
_______
| DOHC |

Then fill that area with pancake syrup so that everything is covered exept the top of the raised letters (It's important to keep the flat face of the letters level). Then spray the syrupy area with your black paint, let it dry completely, then run it under hot water to rinse off the syrup. Done and done.

that sounds like just as much work...lol...ill prollie stick with the way he did it when i do mine

i'm gonna take some fine sand paper today and try and sand the gold off the top of the letters... when a little bit of black shows through i'll get finer sand paper and clean it up

yes... any color. :) Free. And... seriously... what's the big deal with Scarface? I've seen the movie, but why the hype over a 30 year old flick? I feel like I missed something... or maybe it's because I'm not a guy.
It's because every guy wishes he was a bad ass drug lord that killed his way to the top from nothing. Hey it beats sitting in a cubicle all day.

BTW The valve cover looks great.

i'm gonna take some fine sand paper today and try and sand the gold off the top of the letters... when a little bit of black shows through i'll get finer sand paper and clean it up

Thats gonna be really difficult. Try the syrup method for the bottom letters. DOOO EEEET!

Thats gonna be really difficult. Try the syrup method for the bottom letters. DOOO EEEET!

well, i got it done.. only thing, it took off some black on the corners of the letters.. i didnt use much black on it when i did it.. it still doesnt look bad at all.. hardly noticable

we can move this to the articles section once you're all done with it.

and leave it to the friggin alaskan to suggest maple syrup! lol

just gotta put it on.. its done otherwise.. i need to take pics of the VC after getting the letter black again.. pics updated soon..

Back