Poor-ass Racing Brake Install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dohcvtec_accord

WRX Sellout
Installed some slotted Brembo rear rotors this weekend, along with some Hawk HPS pads at all 4 corners.

A photo of the old rotors:
s3e7f29ef9bb25.jpg

This is how bad the old pads were. I wish I had taken a better pic, the pads were nearly worn away in the rear. The fronts had some heat stress cracks in them:
s3e7f29e5415d3.jpg

The new rotors, waiting to be installed:
s3e7f2a09463fc.jpg

The new pads, waiting to be installed:
s3e7f29fc6ade4.jpg

The new rotors and pads (sorry for the dark pic):
s3e7f29b83c7b4.jpg

A view of the assembly through the wheel:
s3e7f29d748b05.jpg

The install wasn't too bad. Had to do some drilling to get the ghey screws out of the rear rotors. We had some problems getting the emergency brake reset, but nothing crazy. Anyway, it stops like a dream now. Plus, all the noise that was happening because of the low pads is gone. Many thanks to lsvtec and 93solman for their help this weekend.

As a bonus, here is a pic of what camber does to your tires (without much toe, I have a lifetime alignment at Firestone and get it aligned all the time):
s3e7f29cc686d7.jpg

It didn't help the the Kuhmo's wear like crap. But the moral of the story is: Get a camber kit kids!

Kuhmo's suck if you've got like 1/5479853 degree of camber or more. My dad runs Kuhmo's on his Stealth and they wear just fine.

I never noticed a problem turning. The only problem I had with them (aside from the wear issue) was that they rolled under during hard cornering, but I think that was probably because I went one size over for my rims, being as I mostly race at the drag strip.

So did you buy new screws for the rotors? On my fronts, I just went without screws, the wheels will hold them on. Did not have an impact driver so I had to just toast the screws with a drill.

That's exactly what I did. Those rotors had never been touched back there, so the screws had to be drilled out. 4 screws and 2 drill bits later, everything was fine. :) Didn't replace the screws, the wheels should hold the rotors on there just fine.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 24 2003, 02:35 PM
So did you buy new screws for the rotors? On my fronts, I just went without screws, the wheels will hold them on. Did not have an impact driver so I had to just toast the screws with a drill.

wtf? you're rotors are just chillen there?????????????

No, if you look at the pics, the rotors fit over the four studs on the hub, and get held onto the hubs by the wheels, which are being held on by the lug nuts.

Those screws just make installing the caliper easier. The lug nuts actually hold everything in place.

where can you get new screws for the rotors, with out going to the dealer and paying 10 bucks per screw? will any other place have them?

im gonna need some when i replace my rotors, cause the screws that are holding them on there now are gonna have to be drilled out, they are fucked and the head of it is all stripped so you cant get a screw driver on it

Back