problem w/ my computer, help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i usually just reinstall the operating system if i have a problem that i cant figure out.
i have all my files, like music and shit on a second harddrive so i can format the c drive when reinstalling.
itll make your computer faster and it should solve your problem.
the only downside is you have to reinstall all the programs you had again.
i usually keep every install .exe file i ever download on the second harddrive too.

you should get windows all setup how you like it, with all of the programs that you use, then download Ping. It's a freeware program that will create a ghost of your hdd partition. This way whenever you hit a "snag" you can restore the ghost image from an external or other media and within 15 minutes you will have a fresh working install that has all of your programs already installed and activated. My ghost file is only like 2 gb too.

http://ping.windowsdream.com/

Last edited:
i'm gonna look around for an external hard drive to keep everything on.. then the computer is getting reset

Sorry that I haven't had any time to look for info on this, Clint. I've been trying to multi-task between work and the web, which is the only place I have access nowadays and haven't been able to look up much. That and my brother has been working his ass off lately and not available.

Me = Epic Fail. :eek:

Good stuff. I hope the backups go smoothly.

ps newegg has 1tb green power hard drives (slow but good for backing up to) for 100 bucks.

thanks... i'm gonna look around for the best price.. .doesnt need to be fast, its just to hold files.. i think a buddy of mine might have one laying around, i'll see if can borrow it just to reset Windows

yea... i'm saying i'd put all my shit on it and reset windows.. then transfer the stuff back to my computer and give him his hard drive back.. ;)

this i hear. xmas time, good time to catch a sale on a backup drive to keep :) is what i'm saying.

it looks whatever infected your system latched onto your dlink adapater and SAS just nuked it. try uninstalling and reinstalling all you dlink product and updating the drivers. is there anything else wrong with the system?

and agreed with setting up windows and imaging it. makes restoring much easier. and btw, before you install windows, make sure to get one with sp3 slipstreamed and all other major updates or be prepared to spend 2 hrs installin gthem and rebooting.

imaging it. makes restoring much easier. and btw, before you install windows, make sure to get one with sp3 slipstreamed and all other major updates or be prepared to spend 2 hrs installin gthem and rebooting.

agreed. installing windows updates takes much longer than installing the actual os these days

i dont think its time to format the bitch just yet....

control panel
remove all hardware for dlink
and any software that may have come with it

physically pull the card (if its not built in)
reboot -> will update DMI
shut down
re-scan online with this tool:
Free Virus Scan - Kaspersky Lab

if it finds anything, remove them manually via regedit (be careful in there)

re-install card -> will update DMI
install drivers from windows update

i'm not using the d-link anymore.. that was at my old place.. the modem/router was in a different room so i had to use it.. i've uninstalled teh program earlier today when i was cleaning out my unused programs

in for the update. curious to see how this one turns out.

here is what Kaspersky pulled up..

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\QUARANTINE\javainstaller.jar-5aa0b436-2544054a.zip.Vir Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Java.OpenStream.w 1
C:\QUARANTINE\javainstaller.jar-5aa0b436-7485e4ba.zip.Vir Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Java.OpenStream.w 1

did you end up getting rid of it or reformatting it? it look slike the kaspersky just picked up whatever got quaratined.

Back