Propane Honda

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Canuck 93 Civic Si

I am thinking about taking on an interesting project, but i want to know a bit more about it. The plan is turbocharged D16Z6 with 11:1 compression running on propane fuel. I just dont know if you can run propane through a fuel injection system. Anyone with any thoughs or references would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It wont blow up the engine, propane has much better anti-detonating characteristics then gas.

Thanks

i know absoulutely nothing about it, but if it is possible it sounds like a pretty fuckin' cool project, i'd love to see it done.

- .::* GOOD LUCK *::. -

ups trucks run on propane...

they are slow as fuck

i don't see the performance gain? whats the burning/resistance to detonation of propane vs gas?

on a diesel engine, its a different story... but i dont see how it would be better at all- probably worse

propane is 118 octane.

I've seen a mustang on propane before. fucker hauled ass

UPS trucks are also meant to get very good fuel milage, thats why they have small engines and therefore not much power. There is a guy who runs a chevelle on propane down the 1/4 mile at mid 10s consistantly. The hp gain would not be derived just from burning propane as opposed to gas, but the fact that you dont really have to worry about detonation leads to all kinds of interesting possibilities. As a bit of an added bonus, propane burns much cleaner then gas and when tuned properly, will burn with a nice blue flame. Ill keep you all posted as my project developes.

only problem i see...is that there's no place to put a tank of propane unless you leave it inside. Now I don't know about you, but I don't want no stinkin' tank inside my car!

If he is custom building a propane-powered engine, I'm sure he can custom fit a propane tank somewhere in his undercarriage--perhaps where the gas tank used to be?

what about filling the thing up? True around town you know that the gas station on the other side of town has it but what if you are ever on the road?

Would you get a tax credit if you did this? Do they consider propane an alternative energy fuel?

I know that there are quite a few filling stations for propane vehicles around. Where they are, im not too sure of. I know that alot of the cabbies in Toronto use propane so it my not be as hard to come by as I think. As far as tax credits go, I havnt even considered it. Propane is an alternative fuel but I dont quite know how it works in Canada. Ill look into it now that youve mentioned it, thanks.

Well i am writting a big paper on fuel effecient vechiles (ev, hybrids and fuel cells) and say a little thing about tax refonds. Not sure if propane is in there but they do run the forklifts at homedepot with propane so the emissions are not toxic

Originally posted by asmallsol@Dec 19 2002, 04:52 PM
what about filling the thing up? True around town you know that the gas station on the other side of town has it but what if you are ever on the road?

Would you get a tax credit if you did this? Do they consider propane an alternative energy fuel?

all good questions y0

i'm not sure you're going to find a propane tank big enough to fit where the old gas tank used to be. Honda gas tanks are traditionally long, wide and flat. Propane tanks are big and cylindrical. It should be interesting to see if he can come up with it.

I was thinking about using a forklift tank or two. If it doesnt relly fit where the gas tank is..... well time to get out the cutting torche and tig welder.

Also, can anyone recommend a good junkyard availabe turbo for my application ( D16Z6 ). I would like to run about 12 psi of boost.

thanks

what about the quality of the propane? i know not all propane is the same, and what happens if you get some non-standerd propane. its fine for back yard grilling, but can you be sure that the corner gas station is going to have clean propane?

Once you get the tanks mounted it's not very hard to set up. Diesel's use kind of like a shot of NOS. However for what you're pay for propane you could just buy 108 octane in fact the 108 would probably cost less.

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@Dec 20 2002, 08:52 AM
I was thinking about using a forklift tank or two. If it doesnt relly fit where the gas tank is..... well time to get out the cutting torche and tig welder.

Also, can anyone recommend a good junkyard availabe turbo for my application ( D16Z6 ). I would like to run about 12 psi of boost.

thanks

A 14B out of a 1st gen eclipse/talon. But you won't be able to run 12psi on stock internals. More like 8-10psi on stock internals!

Back