read this AIM convo... tell me all of this is BS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I know that bikes can do it, rather easily too. larger bikes than mine (Pretty much everything) do what I do at 35mph at their 135 (RPM vs gear, that is)

But for the typical speed racer rider (early 20s, sport bike riders) I don't think have what it takes to hit that speed on the road or highway. Yes, it's easy for the bike - but not the rider. And I think that most of these people (Those here excluded, of course (Because I haven't met you face-to-face) may do this trick by themselves and then exagerate quite a bit when they brag to their friends.

most, like 95%, are simply full of shit. "What was it like when you were doing 135 mph?" "Oh, it's smooth as glass". "Really ? Your helmet wasn't going bullshit, no vibrations, no turbulence at the fairings ?" "No, no man.. it was smooth"

Basically, they have no idea what they are talking about. My friend did 130 once and wouldn't do it again. He said that his vision was so focused that his mind started to shut down a few hundred feet down the road. The wind turbulence was so bad that he could barely keep his head straight. The helmet was pushing into his face and the padding squeezing his head, etc etc. Sounds more realistic.

I know that speed is easy to acheive on a bike, but damn. Also, those speedos aren't too accurate at 70mph, much less 140.

i did 155 a bunch of times of times on my bike... it wasnt that bad
got to about 160... once that was a little scary because my speedo cable was broken at the time and i didnt know how fast i was going until i hit the rev limiter in 6th gear

152 is the fastest ive been in my car... that wasnt that bad either until i realized how fast i really was going

i have several friends with bikes that are in the 180+ club and one who is in the 200+ club
i think they are out of their fucking minds

Also, those speedos aren't too accurate at 70mph, much less 140.

that's why they make SpeedoHealers...

and I'm not sure what kinda bike your friend was on, but anything over 100 feels the same. You shouldn't feel any wind blowing your helmet around because at that speed you should be fully tucked, and mostly blocked from the wind by your windscreen.

First time I rode my friends 600 (CBR-R? shit had 2 R's in the name, i dunno) I took it up to 150mph. Yes it was insane, yes I had an adrenaline rush that lasted 10 minutes, yes I'd do it again, yes that's why I'm not allowed to own one :)

I find it hard to believe that folks can do 170 mph on a public road of any sort. I've been to 160 on a track (Not even an impressive track speed) and it was nothing like I had imagined. It was complete pandemonium.

Sigh.... I can hit 107mph in first gear. As someone else stated you're use to riding a 250.

that's like driving a 1987 Chevy Nova and telling the guy with the F40 you have no idea how his car can do over 150mph.

It's one thing if you have to have enough room to build up speed to hit 150mph, it's another thing when you can hit 140-150mph in only a 1/4 mile from a dead stop.
Just think how fast 100 to 150mph goes when in 2rd gear from a rolling start.
Lets put it this way, if you hit the throttle at 100mph and think to yourself wow I might hit 150, well at that point you'll be past it.

P.S when you said you've been 160 on a track, was that a bike or car?

Last edited:
First time I rode my friends 600 (CBR-R? shit had 2 R's in the name, i dunno) I took it up to 150mph. Yes it was insane, yes I had an adrenaline rush that lasted 10 minutes, yes I'd do it again, yes that's why I'm not allowed to own one :)

The kicker is the 600s start to slow wayyyy down after 100mph. the liter bikes have the same 50mph-100mph pull going from 100 and up. they just pull pull pull pull pull
ITS NASTY! =)

Last edited:
I putted around on my stepdads TL1000, but I was way rookie back then, so I never gave it more than about a 1/4 throttle. I have a healthy mix of fear and respect for liter bikes.

...... I ride a 250 daily and I can't see where Steve is getting his feelings from. I understand a 250 is slow, but it truly isn't that slow. In comparison with a liter bike... forget about it, but I can keep up with a stock auto 350z until about 90.

Something feels funny here...

oh no, remember.. I know how "The F40" can do over 150. It's the rider, not the bike, that I question.

And, mind you, 100 mph was ok on a bike. It wasn't scary. I was alittle "upset" by not being to go any faster (really.. I can do maybe 110 on the 250).

Take what I say LITERALLY. I have "difficulty believing" when "Most bikers" say they have gone as fast as they frequently say they go.

In other words, I think that most of the stories out there are bullshit.

It's bullshit not because I don't believe the bike can't do it (I know for a fact they mostly can) but it's because the rider doesn't have what it takes to do it. Mostly. (I've seen the videos)

the other thing to keep in mind here steve is that there is a HUGE difference between accelerating to a speed, touching it then decelerating, and covering distance at that speed

anyone with a recent model 600cc+ bike and a 1/2 mile of semi straight semi smooth road with light traffic can hit 160

this kid i know just got a GSXR600 this year
he is the biggest fucking squid i know
he cant ride to save his nuts
he has 2 inch chicken strips on his rear tire

ive seen him go 150ish
it doesnt take any skill to do 150 on a straight stretch of empty highway

the other thing to keep in mind here steve is that there is a HUGE difference between accelerating to a speed, touching it then decelerating, and covering distance at that speed

Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, even when I said "I did 100 a few days ago" I really just hit 100 and hung out there while I evaluated it, then backed down. The dude that I was "racing" was "doing" 100-110.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, even when I said "I did 100 a few days ago" I really just hit 100 and hung out there while I evaluated it, then backed down. The dude that I was "racing" was "doing" 100-110.

I love riding backroads, if a straight opens up I can easily hit 100mph even if it's only a very short distance and I'm not even on the gas.

I don't doubt when people say they've been to 150mph, on a supersport bike it's so easy that it happens before you know it. Again if you're at 100 and hit the throttle think to yourself wow I'm going to go fast, well at that point you're already past where you thought you were going to go mph wise.

YouTube - Fast motorcycle

This is an older GSX-R maybe 750?, check out how fast it gets up to 120, and then from 130-160
gives you an idea of just how easy it is to do.

I say 750 because the redline is too low for a 600 but it doesn't sound like a 1000, plus for an older GSX-R1000 that would be a pretty high redline.

One day I'll get a cam mount for my bike =)

Last edited:
Back