Real Power Gains

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wow I decided this is my new favorite webpage you guys have the answers to everything. So I had just an intake and exhaust on my Del Sol and it obviousley made no real difference on the performance. I have an intake on the way because I love the sound and a header because my current one is cracked but I am sure that will not give me any noticable HP. My theory is that if I get an intake manifold to go with my intake it will make the short ram worth while and I might actually notice something? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to get other than forced induction or higher compression pistons to make decent gains?

Originally posted by PolkMomoInMYSi@Jul 5 2005, 10:54 PM
Wow I decided this is my new favorite webpage you guys have the answers to everything. So I had just an intake and exhaust on my Del Sol and it obviousley made no real difference on the performance. I have an intake on the way because I love the sound and a header because my current one is cracked but I am sure that will not give me any noticable HP. My theory is that if I get an intake manifold to go with my intake it will make the short ram worth while and I might actually notice something? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to get other than forced induction or higher compression pistons to make decent gains?
[post=521217]Quoted post[/post]​

Not with a honda. Its not a chevy where the designers were all college rejects and couldn't properly design a cylinder head or anything else for that matter. Replacing the cams in a Bseries ~0-15 HP. Replacing it in a Chebee and you get 23912hp.

Save your money and go Forced fed.

Not with a honda. Its not a chevy where the designers were all college rejects and couldn't properly design a cylinder head or anything else for that matter. Replacing the cams in a Bseries ~0-15 HP. Replacing it in a Chebee and you get 23912hp.

Im so glad this topic came up at night cause i so woulda been fired for how loud im laughing.

Thats really true. Most of the internals on a honda are about as good as they come. About all you can improve is compression on most of these engines (without Forced induction or N20). So i guess if you go with CTR pistons you might notice some gains in your sol. The new IM will not help your gains much if at all.

EDIT* Sorry about making the comment about the pistons, i didnt read your entire post. I stopped at the question mark. Honda bolt ons generally net very small gains.

Real power gains = tubro/SC/n2o/stroke/bore/etc...
Small power gains I/H/E/intake manifold/exhaust manifold/etc...

Decide where you and your wallet want to take your car, and go, go, go.

BTW: I have a Polk Momo in my hatch too, nice speaker :D

I think aftermarket Intake manifolds on a near stock application somewhat hinders performance. you may gain a few horsepower, but you do lose torque as well. it does become truely effective until you go forcefed. but if you do have some money lying around and still want a IM you need to get a throttlebody and port match the IM so you utilize all the air coming in.
I say you should build up your head, get a nice port and polish job some decent cams and upgrade the rest of the valve train. And ofcourse you want the adjustable cam gears to make it easier to tune.
Also, what are your plans for your car? 1/4 mile, auto X, street cruising, helps to know to help you determine whether force induction or N/A is right for you

It doesn't hinder performance per say, but most are made to make gains high in the rpms, pretty much well into vtec, so unless you're revving it high the gains are small.

yeah, but honda's are hurting for torque from the get go, so to me i think the 3-4ftlbs loss is going to be noticable.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 6 2005, 08:35 AM
Real power gains = tubro/SC/n2o/stroke/bore/etc...
Small power gains I/H/E/intake manifold/exhaust manifold/etc...

Decide where you and your wallet want to take your car, and go, go, go.

BTW: I have a Polk Momo in my hatch too, nice speaker :D
[post=521366]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree FI or building a NA high compression motor are the only ways to go if you want real power gains

well ive seen some CTR pistons run for just under $200 new(add another $100 for the rings); but since you dont want to go that route; maybe a header would net more gains. .you can port-match and port your stock intake manifold, saves yourself a little money and still get a little more hp. Also if you can, try to get a ram-air system going...like a duct from your front bumper going into the filter. I did something similar to this and noticed a small gain on a d15b2.

dont forget to get a programmable ECU to tune all this shit in, and adjust your ignition tables to gain a couple hp.

Originally posted by DesertNightEagle@Jul 6 2005, 05:45 AM
I think aftermarket Intake manifolds on a near stock application somewhat hinders performance. you may gain a few horsepower, but you do lose torque as well. it does become truely effective until you go forcefed. but if you do have some money lying around and still want a IM you need to get a throttlebody and port match the IM so you utilize all the air coming in.
I say you should build up your head, get a nice port and polish job some decent cams and upgrade the rest of the valve train. And ofcourse you want the adjustable cam gears to make it easier to tune.
Also, what are your plans for your car? 1/4 mile, auto X, street cruising, helps to know to help you determine whether force induction or N/A is right for you
[post=521371]Quoted post[/post]​

It's going to be a daily driver so I don't want it to be anything that's going to put to much wear on the engine. I'd like to see maybe something in the low 14's maybe pushing it to the high 13's for a 1/4 when all is said and done.

gsr swap. done. you'll go high 13's/low 14s no prob.

Spend a few hundred bucks on a good set of cams. Forget the intake manifold, the stock honda ones are just fine. A short ram/CAI, nice cams, and headers, you will increase the flow of your motor considerably. They all work together and help eachother out.. That is the most HP for the money you can get without going with nos or a turbo.. Nos sucks on a daily driver anyway. Don't forget about the rest of the restrictive factory exhaust. I had mine opened up to 2.5 inches all the way back, which I think anyone around here will tell you is overkill... 2" will work just fine... High flow cat and muffler will help, too.

Lol, I have $700 invested in my damned exhaust.

Also, Do some weight reduction! del-sol's are fat-daddys.

Back