Reliablity Of A Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

red95solsi

how long would i be without a car if i decided to get a b16a swapped into my del sol and also how reliable would it be to get a swap i have heard of some people having problems with them is why i think of keeping my engine in there now

i've had no problems at all with my swap... downtime for you should be at most a week... are you doing it yourself or having someone else do it? it could be done in a weekend...

b16a or b16asirII, The b16a in a sol will take you um...1-2 months to wire the thing just to get it to start. The b16aSIRII will take you about a full weekend. The thing with keeping your engine in there now and combineing that d16z6 is that the trannys suck, they are not designed for harsh driving. The b series are performance engines and the d's are for good gas millage.

Reliabilty all depends on how you take car of it, yes the b16 is a good engine but if every day your starting it in freezing temps and then before you get to the end of the street, you hit redline, yea of course the thing is going to give you problems. Both d and B's can last forever if you take care of them, the reason why you rarly hear getting 200k miles out of a B16 is because they are too fun not to accationally beat on them, d series on the other hand, there is not much diffrance from 7k and 3k rpms, it is slow how ever you look at it.

i deliver pizzas for a job so i would have to have it be reliable and as far as being slow i beat the civic si with the b16 in it with mine and i have even beaten a couple integra gsr and just barely lost to a type r by less then a car length and if anyone is stupid enough to start the car and immediately take it to redline then they deserve to blow up the enigne doesnt really matter cold or warm outside what i am asking is if i got it put in and took care of the swap could it be as reliable as my d16z6 is right now or would i be better off just waiting until i can afford a sol that already has the b16 engine in it and selling the one i have now and if i took it to a shop to get it done how long would it take you guys said anything from a weekend to a couple months i need a straight answer cause i cant afford to be without it for a more then a week since i deliver pizza

as far as being slow i beat the civic si with the b16 in it

no you didn't.
and i have even beaten a couple integra gsr

no you didn't
and just barely lost to a type r by less then a car length

maybe 6 car lengths

and yes, the engine is reliable... if you install everything correctly and maintain it just as you would your precious d16 then it'll be fine

Originally posted by red95solsi@Jan 21 2003, 12:06 PM
i deliver pizzas for a job so i would have to have it be reliable and as far as being slow i beat the civic si with the b16 in it with mine and i have even beaten a couple integra gsr and just barely lost to a type r by less then a car length and if anyone is stupid enough to start the car and immediately take it to redline then they deserve to blow up the enigne doesnt really matter cold or warm outside what i am asking is if i got it put in and took care of the swap could it be as reliable as my d16z6 is right now or would i be better off just waiting until i can afford a sol that already has the b16 engine in it and selling the one i have now and if i took it to a shop to get it done how long would it take you guys said anything from a weekend to a couple months i need a straight answer cause i cant afford to be without it for a more then a week since i deliver pizza

that has to be the longest run on sentence in the world

Originally posted by B16@Jan 21 2003, 05:30 PM
that has to be the longest run on sentence in the world

:lol:

the reason why i said a couple of months is because some people dont do there homework before, they go out and buy the wrong b16 (b16a aka b16aSiR) which is only good for cars that are pre 1992's, but when they say "i need help" they always say, "i got a killer deal, plus it was like 1000 less then the b16 you recommend" The reason why it is so cheap is because the engine is obd0 and has a cable tranny. For your car, you need a b16aSIRII or a b16a2 (a2 is for 96-00 and takes a little more work but nothing to bad) Easiest swap is going to be a b16aSiRII OBDI. Most people say it takes about 2 days worth of work

if you are worried about reliability, i would have a professional swap shop do it. find one that warranties their engines and swaps. i know of one here that warranties the engine for 10 mo.s/ 10,000 miles...and has a lifetime warranty on labor...though that is probably rare. you will of course spend more, but if something breaks, you dont have to spend countless hours/days figuring it out and trying to fix it yourself.

ok now my next question then is how much faster will the car be if i swap a b16a in the car then if i were to work on the engine i have with the 2400 the engine costs plus whatever shipping and whatever instalation would cost would i be better to just get the power from the d16z6 vtec or not because i think that if i put the 3500 aproximately that it would cost installed would make it a couple seconds faster then just swapping

I don't even see how it could be a question about the reliability.Honda put the B16 in delsols.Pissedoffsol has said that he has gone through three d16z6 tranny's,so that tells me,if you start piling 2000-3000 dollars worth of hp into it you will run into troubles.Christ man,the b16a sir,b16a siRII,b16a3,and b16a2 are factory honda engines so that tells you right there they are reliable.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 22 2003, 01:18 AM
I don't even see how it could be a question about the reliability.Honda put the B16 in delsols.Pissedoffsol has said that he has gone through three d16z6 tranny's,so that tells me,if you start piling 2000-3000 dollars worth of hp into it you will run into troubles.Christ man,the b16a sir,b16a siRII,b16a3,and b16a2 are factory honda engines so that tells you right there they are reliable.

im on 2, but its hurting....

and im pretty much stock as it sits. not much power going to it
d seires blow

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Jan 21 2003, 06:05 PM
if you are worried about reliability, i would have a professional swap shop do it. find one that warranties their engines and swaps. i know of one here that warranties the engine for 10 mo.s/ 10,000 miles...and has a lifetime warranty on labor...though that is probably rare. you will of course spend more, but if something breaks, you dont have to spend countless hours/days figuring it out and trying to fix it yourself.

That warranty is a sweet deal. Where is this shop? I'm in San Diego so I can get anywhere in so. cal. pretty quickly. Any info on this place would be great. Thanx.

Back