Replacing Harmon Kardon system in BMW

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well I guess I wont be showing you the speakers....

WRX does not have enough clearence for any good component speaker.....
ohh well more money for the CRX.

good luck man. what are you deciding on so far?

i think he has clearance issues for the door speakers as well

well I guess I wont be showing you the speakers....

WRX does not have enough clearence for any good component speaker.....
ohh well more money for the CRX.

good luck man. what are you deciding on so far?

well, the BSW set is around $1200 and is a straight swap. it comes with a 10" sub and box. I'm going to stop by a few custom stereo shops in the area and see what they can do for me. I'll give them a budget of $700 and see what they say. I'll also check out best buy and car toys. a few of the bigger chains.

I would also like to get my compustar alarm installed. I've had it sitting in a box for about 4 years now. brand new. maybe they can cut me a deal.

After going to 3 different shops, the consensus seems to be that I can get aftermarket stereo equipment installed that is better, if not comparable for relatively the same price.

I already have a great amp that isn't being used, a good subwoofer in a box will be comparable to the same price if not cheaper with better sound. I'm thinking a JL audio 10w6v2. i can pick it up for $300, use the amp i have, and pay $200 for install (generous estimate for labor) and still be comparable in cost. Plus, I will have the day to myself rather than doing labor and I would find it hard to believe that BSW 6x9 would sound better than a dedicated sub.

As for the mids and highs, I haven't decided on those yet. I know I will need an amp and crossover and several other items, but it seems as if the best route to go is to buy what I need online and pay to have it installed. My time is very valuable to me and I would rather be at work making more money that messing with a stereo install. If it was a turbo install, that would be one thing, but stereos are harder to mess up and usually have an install warranty.

:cliffs:

decided to buy online and have it installed locally

budget is ~$800 plus $400 for install. Maybe even up to $1400 total since I would pay an extra $200 for professional installation rather than for me to take a full day and do it on my own

speaker and amp advice is strongly requested. links to sites also help, but it seems Amazon kicks the shit out of everybody in price.

I'm in no rush so I can take my time researching and purchasing.

the BSW sub was a 10" amped sub

the BSW sub was a 10" amped sub

werd, but i'm still having issues finding reputable reviews. I have heard (literally and figuratively) nothing but good things about companies like JL. The only benefit of the BSW is the trunk space, which can still be used for aftermarket mounting.

The only thing I have heard about the BSW is that it is better than the Harmon Kardon is that it's a direct swap. I haven't heard anybody say that it is a better product than anything, just that it's better than factory. in that case, just about anything is better than factory.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Back